Why is Midnight doing this to Chestnut?

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wanted to say I’m sorry about you losing your baby and her kid. That must have been so heartbreaking for you. I’m sorry for your losses.
Yes Carla it was pretty heartbreaking, but thats what happens when you own animals....both of the two girls i bought in august had been "unknowingly " bred at three months .....i feel very lucky to have found this site, these people and their help ....and sooo lucky that the other doe made it through her pregnancy and delivered a healthy kid:frow:bow:bow:bow

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Carla, i just went back through your pages and read that the dairy farmer only charged $5.00 for each male they sold you ? Personally , i have never heard of one being sold so cheap..... did they tell you that they were healthy kids ? Often, producers of large herds cull the less desirable and weakest ones....I totally agree with you on rescuing , i have some new rescues that i am trying to get healthy.....i am just wondering if they may of sold you some that were born with issues ? That would not be at all a cool thing for them to be doing to people......hope that's not the case

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Carla D I agree with @Mini Horses in that you can control a lot of your health issues. One thing not mentioned that you might not have thought about is chemical sensitive. I cannot use any cleaning products, perfumes, candles, scented laundry products, scented shampoos, lotions, anything and everything. What I can use is original Dove soap, original Palmolive green dishwashing soap and vinegar and water to clean with. That is all.

Room fresheners are the devil....on the can it says not to get it on your skin, not in your eyes, don't ingest it.....but spray it in the air and suck it into your lungs….. :th Who does this make sense to?

Anyway, with your health issues, maybe try to clean up your environment by getting rid of all these things. Use unscented laundry soap, no dryer sheets, and stop using all these scented products and chemicals in your home and on your body. It might just help you.
I don’t know why I hadn’t noticed this comment before. I wasn’t trying to be rude. I didn’t see this until now. You do make some very smart and sensible points here.
Yes Carla it was pretty heartbreaking, but thats what happens when you own animals....both of the two girls i bought in august had been "unknowingly " bred at three months .....i feel very lucky to have found this site, these people and their help ....and sooo lucky that the other doe made it through her pregnancy and delivered a healthy kid:frow:bow:bow:bow
you couldn’t be more correct about animals being such wonderful creatures and that they can be amazing or heartbreaking at times.
Carla, i just went back through your pages and read that the dairy farmer only charged $5.00 for each male they sold you ? Personally , i have never heard of one being sold so cheap..... did they tell you that they were healthy kids ? Often, producers of large herds cull the less desirable and weakest ones....I totally agree with you on rescuing , i have some new rescues that i am trying to get healthy.....i am just wondering if they may of sold you some that were born with issues ? That would not be at all a cool thing for them to be doing to people......hope that's not the case

I’m not sure if that the case or not. They were on Craigslist. Throughout the last couple of months they had a few, maybe five different sets of baby boys for sale. I really never thought about it, until recently after ny Nubian died. He struggled the entire time I had him. The first three nights he wouldn’t take his bottles. I spent two of those nights holding him in my arms in bed with me under my electric blanket. He perked up and went back to the farm after five days. He did fairly well for a few days then he got sick again and ultimately died. Her add on Craigslist was always for anywhere between 7-10 little guys. It stated they were not dehorned, castrated, or immunized. They were always in pictures of them in a very small fenced in area about the size of a children’s playpen. We had a couple of options when buying them. They were either $20/each if I only wanted a couple, $10/head if I took between 5-8 babies. Or like I did, I bought the entire group of 9 for $45 total. At that time I was thinking I might as well get all 9 of them since I would be paying almost the same amount for only two of them. After a couple of days I began to think that they were really labor intensive and that was their way of saving money and time. But she also told me that I could feed two of the goats on a 20oz bottle for the entire first day. I quickly learned that wasn’t the case. She also told me they only needed to be fed twice a day. That, I knew better on immediately. Shoot! Human babies typically need to be fed every hour or two for the first several days of life. I’m really glad I went with my gut. I let them drink as much as they wanted every three hours because I had babies at home and the farm. I was feeding nonstop from 8am to about midnight every night for the first several days. Until the babies at home were reacquainted with those on the farm. They easily drank a 10oz baby bottle each nearly every feeding. I didn’t find Pritchard nipples until about a week into the ordeal. It took forever to get those baby bottles finished. Once I had the Pritchard nipples I was feeding nearly 20oz four times a day. Each bottle was consumed in less than a third of the time. I honestly don’t know how they managed to have so many goats on their property. There had to be at least a 1000-1500 of the, at various ages of life. I became pretty much decided that I had saved all of them from at least starving to death. She told me she sells newborn girls for $250 each. What the heck!?!? I’m pretty set on keeping all 8 as wethers until the day they die naturally. If I were to ever buy more it would be bottle babies. I might rescue more from this same farm only to save them from dying young of starvation. But, I’m not sure if I should be doing that or not. Personally I don’t care if they don’t measure upto anybodies breeding standards. They are basically pets anyways. I’ll love my babies male, female, neutered or not, horned or not. I don’t have any trouble putting the time and money into “rejected goats”, not for one minute. I don’t know if I’ll ever know the truth about that place. But, one of my babies wasn’t even 10 hours old when I loaded them into my car. I’m thinking that alone is pretty unreasonable if not abusive as well. At least I know now that they will be well taken care of and given all of the love they’ll ever want.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
What they are doing is horrible ........i can't put the words on this site that are in my mouth of what i would like to say to them. The people that i got another kid from (Lilly) , we went to see her when she was just three days old. When we got there the woman said that the goat was going today ! I asked her if we paid for her today, would you consider letting her stay and nurse off her dam for two weeks...? That way she would get a good start from her mom. Then i would bottle feed her..She told us she wanted the milk for her family and the kid was going today , one way or another.....needless to say Lilly is my five month old spoilled rotten brat whom i will love till death do us part....

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I was told as a child that I don't have tact... I have Attack... I'm sorry for the way I may have come across. I was in no way disparaging you or belittling you. I meant no offense but there is/was no "easy" way to say what I thought needed saying. I even premised the post with hemming and hawing to show that I was having an inner debate as to if I should say anything or not. I followed that by saying "OK... not to be harsh, but it has been alluded to and I'll just say it straight out." If it were a case of should you go to the grocery store or not, I'd have said nothing. I know how important these goats are to you and it's quite obvious that you are doing everything in your power to do right by them. There are exactly (more or less) 2 ways to do something... Either way might work just fine depending on many variables.

I wish you and all of your extended "family" (that includes animals) nothing but the best, health and success...

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I was told as a child that I don't have tact... I have Attack... I'm sorry for the way I may have come across. I was in no way disparaging you or belittling you. I meant no offense but there is/was no "easy" way to say what I thought needed saying. I even premised the post with hemming and hawing to show that I was having an inner debate as to if I should say anything or not. I followed that by saying "OK... not to be harsh, but it has been alluded to and I'll just say it straight out." If it were a case of should you go to the grocery store or not, I'd have said nothing. I know how important these goats are to you and it's quite obvious that you are doing everything in your power to do right by them. There are exactly (more or less) 2 ways to do something... Either way might work just fine depending on many variables.

I wish you and all of your extended "family" (that includes animals) nothing but the best, health and success...
I just want to reiterate that my response wasn’t because you were out of line. I could tell you were on the fence about saying what you said. I realize I was 110% in the wrong for what I said to you. I know you were only stating things as you had seen. I do not expect anyone to read through everything I’ve written in the last day or two. I sure as heck should expect anyone to read a weeks worth of my questions, comments, etc. I was the one wrong. Not you. I even caught myself getting angry with my little girl today as well. I don’t know what my problem was today. I was a complete bitch and totally irrational. That is truly against my character. I can’t apoligise to you enough. I haven’t read everything you’ve posted in the last week either. But from what I’ve read you are a very intelligent, kind man who was only trying to give me some helpful advice which I completely took the wrong way. I don’t expect you will ever comment on anything I write, just so I don’t lash out at you again. I totally deserve that. But I am truly sorry for the way I reacted. That is why I made my apologies in public forum and not in a personal message. That’s how bad I feel about what I said to you. Sincerely, Carla D

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Latestarter....this is only one of the reasons that you have so many friends on this site and are so respected....you are a stand up guy and have my respect ! Which is a darn good thing since we both share the same birthday, I'm just a older model :lol::lol::lol::old
I do believe he is a standup guy and was only saying what he thought I needed to hear. My response to him was completely uncalled for and pretty darn nasty as well. I felt I owed him a public apology since I lashed out at him so publicly. My reaction was on me. For some reason my attitude has not been very nice today and I’m not sure why. But, since he isn’t the only person I lashed out at I have to take blame for my actions. The other person was my little girl. Neither of them deserved my mean word or attack.

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score

I don’t think you lack tact. I think you simply have the balls to tell someone something you feel needs to be said.

Latest posts