Would you take this buck?

Mini-M Ranch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Eliza said:
HATE to be a party pooper BUT how close are the neighbors again? If most of us are annoyed by continously barking dogs, is a noisy goat in rut going to cause the same effect and strain the relationship with the neighbors??? Just something to consider....
You are pooping on my party! :lol: Cut it out!

The lots here are made kind of funny. Long and skinny. My next door neighbor's house is in the front of his lot, just like mine is. I could put the buck house on the very back opposite corner from the neighbor's house, so the buck house would be about 2.5 acres away from the neighbor's house.

I am not worried about the noise. My chicken coop is about 20 yards from their back door and my chickens free range in our yard most of the day. They NEVER heard the rooster who crowed REALLY LOUDLY and NON-STOP. One the other hand, I can here their TV when standing on my front porch. :gig

It's the smell. Not so much in November and December, because it gets COLD here and the neighbors pretty much hibernate during the winter. The doors and windows will not be open, so I doubt the buck-smell would infiltrate the inside of their house. It's after rut season when it starts to warm up and the buck is still stinky. I mean, I smelled him at the breeders' - I didn't find it offensive, just strong and out-of-place because I hadn't smelled it before.

THe neighbors are GREAT and bring the girls crisp leaves when they trim their trees, etc. I doubt they would mind, but I still feel kind of funny about it. Just like I did when the rooster kept crowing all day and night. Then I asked her if it was bothering them, and she said, "Oh, I didn't know he had started crowing yet!" :idunno

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I don't smell our stinkiest buck from his pen to our house, at all. Roughly 125 feet, give or take a few.
I smell him when I get within 50-75 feet on a warm breezy day, though...:)

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission..

If you like the buck and you trust his current owners, I'd get him. Keep him on quarantine for as long as you can, watching for any lumps or bumps or what have you.. It would be awesome if you could put a sentry wether in with him, but we can only do what we can do. Consider a vet checkup, even..

If the neighbors start complaining, just tell them you didn't know it was going to be so bad (..because you really don't know what it will be like, at this point..), and that you'll get him gone ASAP....you should be able to get him bred to everyone within 3 weeks.

And if they don't say anything...even more awesome, right!!??!!

Mini-M Ranch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
She said that she has a wether in with him already who is his friend whom she would give us, too. I do trust her. She has been nothing but nice and helpful. And everything she has told us so far has been true. And the goats we got from her are SUPER!

Now, to getting dear husband to borrow that gas powered auger from his work again...sure makes putting up a fence much easier! :D

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I said "sentry" earlier, but I meant sentinel.. The sentinel would be native to your herd, with your herd's illnesses and immunities, and his job would be to get sick from the new buck...if the new buck was bringing any microbial "baggage," that is. If he spends time with the new buck and doesn't come up sick...you're good. If he up and dies or pops a big CL knot (...would take time...) or comes down with soremouth or something...well, better him than the doe$.

Just clarifying my eariler screw up... sorry :hide ...I know you don't have a sentinel to sacrifice... I was just thinking it would be handy if you did, especially considering you have limited time to quarantine and since (as I just re-read and realized) this guy is basically a 2nd hand charity case. :p

Seriously, I've nothing against charity cases...we have A BUNCH. :gig

Anyway...so, how long has the breeder you trust been in possession of this guy? Have they effectively quarantined him? Do you think they'd send him to the salebarn before giving him to you, if they thought he had any problems?

I'm guessing they would, rather than give him away.. I would, especially considering that A) giving him away loses you money, and B) a reputation for screwing people puts you out of business quickly in the livestock breeding biz. :) I'm just wondering how much they know about him to pass along, I guess..

ThornyRidge

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Absolutely take that gift!!! and then too bad he was not closer that my 2 gen mini nubian could be exposed.. I have pretty much given up the goat so to speak about continuing my venture with mini nubians.. seems they caught quickly but once people found out how many different goats it takes to get a true mini nubian.. well forget it.. after a couple generations they are hard to come by around here.. my gal needs someone still to bring down her size a bit and bring down her ears a bit more.. outside of that she has a beautiful roman nose and a good personality.. but she still seems goofy like the nubians :weee

anyway he is a fine looking buck!

Mini-M Ranch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
CM: I don't think she would send him to a sale barn. She would probably wether him and let him run with her bucks if he wasn't quality. This buck was born on her good friend's farm and she saw him grow up. Her friend and her husband were recently divorced and the goats were part of the "property to be sold and divided equally"

Heavenly Springs, where are you?

Thorny, how far "north" in Ohio are you? I would be willing to pay forward this gift and give him to you after this fall if you might be interested. PM me. He has great ears, you just can't tell in this picture.

Mini-M Ranch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
According to mapquest (which is sometimes accurate, sometimes not), you are 6 hours from me. I drove that far to get two of my girls. Mini-nubians are a whole lot of trouble. haha.

If you or thorny are really interested, I would be willing to even meet you somewhere to pass this boy along after this fall/winter. I know how hard it is to find a mini-nub buck. I'd be willing to pass him along to help out, since she is helping me out.