77Herford Farm Zoo Journal Moving

Status
Not open for further replies.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
marlowmanor said:
We were thinking about getting a couple ducks to add to our flock for the kids but with the price of them we decided against it for now. Plus we would have to figure out a "pond" spot for them and that would be a challenge. We are planning on getting an incubator though so we can hatch some chicks. We figured out our eggs are fertile so we will be hatching a few of those just to practice with the incubator and getting some fertile mixed breed eggs from our chick guy. Now if we could just get people to buy the eggs we are getting we would be fine. I have almost 5 dozen eggs in my fridge right now. My DH will not eat our home grown eggs, nor will his parents (both DH and FIL will not eat eggs that aren't white :rolleyes:).
I'm thinking about using some of our eggs for our Easter dying.
:lol: :yuckyuck

marlowmanor

Reaction score
77Herford said:
marlowmanor said:
We were thinking about getting a couple ducks to add to our flock for the kids but with the price of them we decided against it for now. Plus we would have to figure out a "pond" spot for them and that would be a challenge. We are planning on getting an incubator though so we can hatch some chicks. We figured out our eggs are fertile so we will be hatching a few of those just to practice with the incubator and getting some fertile mixed breed eggs from our chick guy. Now if we could just get people to buy the eggs we are getting we would be fine. I have almost 5 dozen eggs in my fridge right now. My DH will not eat our home grown eggs, nor will his parents (both DH and FIL will not eat eggs that aren't white :rolleyes:).
I'm thinking about using some of our eggs for our Easter dying.
:lol: :yuckyuck
I know they are totally weird. :rolleyes: Thing is FIL eats eggs on a regular basis. I've already told DH if I used out eggs in cooking he'd never know the difference. The white egg thing is one of the reasons we got some leghorn chicks too. DH wanted them too because he likes them. So now I am hoping that our leghorns and polish chick are female so we get some white eggs for our basket when they are laying age. Fortunately my kids aren't that picky! They eat our homegrown eggs just fine, they actually like eating their colored eggs!

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
Well I need to sell off most of my Dairy Goats now. My major buyer is having to cut costs and go with a cheaper larger producer. This will be giving me rapidly growing milk extra's and the Pigs can only eat so much. I'm getting rid of all but my French and British does.

I'm taking on the tough task of helping the "Old Cow family" in cleaning up their place. First I will be raking up all the open pasture and then I need to find something that will pick up all the spare metal. I could just remove the top layer of soil and then sort the dirt and replace it. They father of the family has agreed to sell most of his junk cars for bulk metal, which should get him a few thousand dollars at least.
My eventual plan is to trade them two of my Nubian does with kids for one old piece of junk I found that I LOVE. Its very close to a childhood tractor our family had and I had many hours of fun riding on with my Dad.

Its an old 50's Massey Ferguson and it needs alot of work. This will be a long term process, lol. I like to help people though, if they are good at heart I have no problem with it.

So the family will get milk now and the kids will make good meat when they are older or could be sold off.

Luckily my egg buyers are staying will me. Many of the egg buyers are just locals and that small bakery a few towns over, which I happily sell too. They are a really nice group of older ladies and their libral customer base love that their products are made with Free range eggs.

Now for the Cow's update. My premium Herefords are calving now. Lovely little red and white Hereford calves. Got some of my first belted calves on the ground too. I like my Oreo Cow's, even my Dad approves.

Something is wrong with my dog Raven. I'm taking her into the Vet today. She's been dropping weight and sleeping alot more often.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
I'm busy enough without having to make Cheese as well. Plus there are already a few in the area that make Goat cheese.

Do you make your own Cheese?

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I think it is awesome that you are helping that family. You will be rewarded for your kindness. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but my father alwasys said Good things come to Good people. And you are a good people.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
Well the doctor thinks Raven has diabetes. He is running more tests though. So Raven now gets a special diet and I'm suppose to monitor her and stuff.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
77Herford said:
Well the doctor thinks Raven has diabetes. He is running more tests though. So Raven now gets a special diet and I'm suppose to monitor her and stuff.
It's simpler to deal with than you might think. Once you get them leveled out that is. Get it under control before it causes other issues such as blindness. Too long of a time with the glucose above 250 and blindness happens. For my dog it was a month and he started going blind...now he's completely so. But it amazes me how much he adjusted to it so fast.

If blood and urine glucose is high then it's diabetes. If only urine glucose is high, tell him to look into Fanconi Syndrome. Most vets are unaware of Fanconi, but a simple treatment of sodium bicarbonate is a life saver for dogs with it.

Feel free to PM me with any questions, I'd be happy to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.