Best dog that protects animals and kids?

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
These are the dog we were thinking about what do you think?
Golden Retriver
Polish Tatra Sheepdog
Catahoula Dog
Australian Sheppard
Akbash
Rottweiler
Collie
Border Collie
I Don't know if I can think of anything else. If you guys have any more ideas or what I should take off the list I would be glad to hear your thoughts!
If you'll have chickens, take the Border collies off the list....they are also known for being nippy of children. They herd, are obsessed with herding, MUST herd.

Catahoula will need a very strong owner or they will own you. Golden retrievers make excellent family and farm dogs.

I've never met an intelligent Rottie, so not sure if you want to go there....they are also known as the most expensive dog due to how many health issues they tend to have~I never knew that until I watched a vid on the most expensive dogs in the world the other day. Was really shocked that Rotties had so many issues.

You might try Labrador Retrievers, as they are much like the goldens but without the longer hair. Best family and farm dogs you can get, IMO.

goatyyymama164

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If you'll have chickens, take the Border collies off the list....they are also known for being nippy of children. They herd, are obsessed with herding, MUST herd.

Catahoula will need a very strong owner or they will own you. Golden retrievers make excellent family and farm dogs.

I've never met an intelligent Rottie, so not sure if you want to go there....they are also known as the most expensive dog due to how many health issues they tend to have~I never knew that until I watched a vid on the most expensive dogs in the world the other day. Was really shocked that Rotties had so many issues.

You might try Labrador Retrievers, as they are much like the goldens but without the longer hair. Best family and farm dogs you can get, IMO.
Thanks! I REALLY WANT A GOLDEN RETRIEVER! We already have a Goldendoodle and she is the best so I think a real golden retriever would be even better! Have you ever had a Golden? What was your experience?

Last edited:

goatyyymama164

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any breeders in the US that have them for a reasonable price? I am not payin $4000 for a dog.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks! I REALLY WANT A GOLDEN RETRIEVER! We already have a Goldendoodle and she is the best so I think a real golden retriever would be even better! Have you ever had a Golden? What was your experience?
Have had and they were fierce against predators, extremely easy to train and loyal to family. Just all around great with children.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any breeders in the US that have them for a reasonable price? I am not payin $4000 for a dog.
Good luck with that. I've seen a HUGE uptick in the prices of purebred dogs these past few years. Used to you could put your hands on a Lab for around $300 and sometimes for free, but around my state you can't touch one for under $900-$2500 now. I'm sure goldens go even higher.

For some odd reason dogs have become a hot commodity during this Covid nonsense.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mini dachshund are the same. Our daughter wanted one for her 10th birthday, it was $150. The next one was free. Now? $2000 to $6000! She recently found a breeder in Oklahoma selling AKC puppies for $1000 and got a long haired chocolate and tan male. It was cheaper to send her 13 year old daughter and husband on an overnight trip to go pick it up than buy one for several states around.

goatyyymama164

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I found a breeder called Blessed Goldens and they have to type I want for $ ✌️💿💿💿 so a good price but it looks like they are sold out and I would have to wait till next year.

Cecilia's-herd

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hello! Sorry I didn't really know where to post this but whatever. I am wondering what breeds of dogs you all have? We are looking into getting a dog. We would like to get one that can protect chickens and goats but not really be totally bonded to them. It will be bonded to us, if that makes any sense. Has low/no prey drive and is not massive (under 100lbs). It needs to get along with kids and care for them and protect them. Not to hard to train but will listen closely to commands. We don't have a large field are anything but we do have 3 acers of land that it would be able to wander. It would have an electric collar so if it gets past our property it will get shocked (we have a lot of dog catchers in our area so we wouldn't want it to get lost). He would be an indoor outdoor dog and be able to protect his family, animals, and his property. We live in Arizona so it gets kinda hot here so it needs to be able withstand harsh weather in the summer(80-100 degrees) and in the winter cold ( 40-27 degrees). We were thinking about a Polish Tatra Sheepdog but they are rare and hard to find here in the states, if anyone has any I would love to hear your experince with them! I know that is a lot to ask for in a breed but hopefully you guys might have some suggestions for us. Open to any ideas on a breed. Thanks!

We do have a hot wire around our property. Sorry I forgot to mention it. :hide I wasn't really think a Lgd but just a medium sized-large sized dog that would attack predators if they try to get into our property. What I have read about lgd is that they are bonded to their flock not their owners so I would want something that is bonded to us. Something that would follow the kids around when they are playing in the wash or taking the goats on a walk down the driveway. Something more along the lines of a guard dog. Not a true lgd.
I may be biased but collies (smooth or rough) seem to be what you are looking for, if you get a female though their barks are very high pitched.

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
I may be biased but collies (smooth or rough) seem to be what you are looking for, if you get a female though their barks are very high pitched.
I am biased towards collies too. 0490A303-0F36-4F8A-8FCB-8D9C353A9D23.jpeg

But I have heard great things about Old Time Scotch Collies as all-around-farm-dogs.

Golden retrievers can be great family dogs. But if you decide on them, be very selective of the breeder. They used to have rock steady temperaments, but they fell victim to popular dog syndrome. You want a breeder who is dedicated to the breed, not someone who’s breeding their dog just because demand is high and they figure they can sell puppies for a lot of money. You want to make sure that both parents have sound temperaments, and especially the mother, because she will teach her behaviors to her puppies.

Actually, finding an honest and caring breeder is important no matter what the breed. And what health testing they do shows how much interest they take in their breed as a whole, and in its future.