Best dog that protects animals and kids?

goatyyymama164

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You can get a Pyredoodle. 1/2 poodle 1/2 Pyrenees. Helps with training, shedding, etc. I have 2 and they are wonderful dogs. Great guard and family dogs. Don’t mess with my livestock or granddaughter.

Here they both are with my Aussie puppy.
Awe so cute! We have a Mini Goldendoodle and we love her! She has put up with all the kids her whole life and has never tried or even bothered the chickens now the goats on the other hand... She can't guard the animals because she will get eaten up before the other animals do.... We would love to get another poodle. Where did you get them? I see you are in Missouri and we are in Arizona so that would be pretty far for us.

goatyyymama164

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Even a hot wire isn’t enough to keep a dog in. If you are ok with your dog wandering around, then go for it. Around here a loose dog is an annoyance. If they get in a pasture, they may get shot. There are loose dogs, but they are subject to getting run over or coyote bait. I guess what I’m trying to say is without a good fence, you are taking your chances. If it’s a great dog that you truly care about, someone will steal it. If it’s a stupid dog that isn’t much good, it will live 20 years! LOL
We could train it to respect the hotwire right? I saw someone on here that put like peanut butter on the hotwire so that the predator would touch it and not want to ever again. Could we do something like that for the dog?

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
You'll want an Akbash and just socialize it to your family instead of putting it with the stock as a pup. Best dogs ever for both purposes and you'll find plenty of Akbash breeders out west. Best family/guard/stock dog I ever had was an Akbash and I could take her anywhere....she even got her pic on the front of Star magazine once. Many people have Akbash as family pets rather than using them as LGDs as they are very versatile.

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Awe so cute! We have a Mini Goldendoodle and we love her! She has put up with all the kids her whole life and has never tried or even bothered the chickens now the goats on the other hand... She can't guard the animals because she will get eaten up before the other animals do.... We would love to get another poodle. Where did you get them? I see you are in Missouri and we are in Arizona so that would be pretty far for us.
They are full brother and sister 18 months apart in age. We got them from Ky. I’m sure there are breeders out there and you may be able to have it shipped to you.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our Pyrenees bonded to the family and was excellent with our baby and toddler.

We had a three foot tall chainlink fence, and the only time he got out was when we left the gate wide open.....

So, not all Pyrenees are as problematic to contain as @Baymule 's.

We currently have a 1/2 Australian Sheppard. Nippy breed. It would be a bad choice with tiny kids and babies.
mine doesnt do this but thats always a chance i think with any dog and kids expecially since kids tend to pester the dog by stealing toys or by grabbing the dog. you never leave kids with dogs until their older. our dog has been very laid back. today first time one of the kids tried to leash her as she was chewing on a bone and she gave a warning. she never done that before its why even with a family dog you do have to watch kids with them. the child i spoke of is a very smart five year old and walked away. i explained why it happened but i can also say this she wont be getting anymore bone near the kids just to make sure it never happens again.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I set my dogs up as pups with food, treats and bones, with my grand kids. The tiniest growl, earns them a Alpha B!tch (me) whalloping with rolled up paper, screaming NO about a hundred times, taking their food or treat away, giving it back, having kid take it away, giving it back, over and over. Never had to do it more than one time.

At the same time I teach kids to NEVER try to take anything from a dog they don’t know.

goatyyymama164

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You'll want an Akbash and just socialize it to your family instead of putting it with the stock as a pup. Best dogs ever for both purposes and you'll find plenty of Akbash breeders out west. Best family/guard/stock dog I ever had was an Akbash and I could take her anywhere....she even got her pic on the front of Star magazine once. Many people have Akbash as family pets rather than using them as LGDs as they are very versatile.
Cool! They are very cute!

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I set my dogs up as pups with food, treats and bones, with my grand kids. The tiniest growl, earns them a Alpha B!tch (me) whalloping with rolled up paper, screaming NO about a hundred times, taking their food or treat away, giving it back, having kid take it away, giving it back, over and over. Never had to do it more than one time.

At the same time I teach kids to NEVER try to take anything from a dog they don’t know.
Yep,best way to do it.