Best dog that protects animals and kids?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not according to all the studies out there.....one study puts your Airedale pretty high on the list compared to the GR. The studies are all a little different in their statistics, but goldens barely even feature on all the lists.

Labs are the number one family dog for a reason, for several years in a row....they are versatile, easy to train, loyal and courageous. There's a reason they are used as guide dogs, cadaver dogs, support dogs, assist dogs, etc. They are just that versatile and all around good dogs.

"Pit bulls were responsible for the highest percentage of reported bites across all the studies (22.5%), followed by mixed breeds (21.2%), and German shepherds (17.8%). Mixed-breed dogs and pit bulls were found to have the highest relative risk of biting, as well as the highest average damage per bite."

"According to the American Animal Hospital Association, the breeds of dog responsible for the most “damaging” bites per year, rank as follows: unknown breeds, pit bull-type breeds, mixed breeds, German Shepherds, terriers and Rottweilers."

View attachment 85417

Here’s a list of the dog breeds known to bite the most:

Nice chart!!!

We had an Akita.. such a well mannered dog with us, good heel when off leash etc.

But with a that great obedience, we had the darndest time keeping her from trying to attack all other dogs.

And right there on your list!

But our Akita was protective of us... if we introduced her to a stranger she was fine... but if a stranger tried to enter the house... she would try to attack.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Oh... and we babysat a pittbull for 6 weeks once... she would kill anything that entered the yard.

I would think it would be very difficult to teach a pitt to not kill livestock.
I’m not sure what it is, but they have the worst prey drive I’ve ever seen. Not just drive but lethal drive. I know so many people defend them, and I’ve met plenty of good ones, but it is a risky farm dog.
I was surprised my two dogs were on the biting list, havanese and poodle! Lower down, but I wouldn’t have expected such high numbers for them. Great dogs, the havanese is pretty well behaved, didn’t take that much training for livestock. She was also a Middle Aged girl when we got all the farm animals if that helps. My poodle/Bichon never had problems chasing chickens, but he is the most stubborn, strong headed, and untrainable dog I’ve seen or heard of; still he’s good with kids and people. Neither of them could protect your yard or family, but they’d try!
Keep in mind if you’re looking for a pet and a guard dog you could get two dogs. Just offering a possibility.

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh... and we babysat a pittbull for 6 weeks once... she would kill anything that entered the yard.

I would think it would be very difficult to teach a pitt to not kill livestock.
One of the problems with generalizing pit bulls, is that they are all over the chart. From great dogs to ones that have been bred purposely for viciousness. So unless you know the background, you have no idea what you’re getting. And any mix breed that has pit-looking features in its face gets called a pit bull, and with a mixed breed, again, you don’t know what all is in its background.

But there are some great ones out there, and if you can find one of those breeders, you should end up with an awesome dog.

What seemed like a fairly simple question doesn’t have a simple answer, does it? But at least the OP has gotten a lot of feedback and information to help with their decision.

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Umm old yeller was a black mouth cur. Not a lab.

What happens a lot is dogs get popular and everyone over breeds them and breeds them for money and everyone wants the dog to do this or that and that isn't what they were originally bred for. So dogs that are close to their original roots will preform the best the just might not look the way u want them to.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Umm old yeller was a black mouth cur. Not a lab.

What happens a lot is dogs get popular and everyone over breeds them and breeds them for money and everyone wants the dog to do this or that and that isn't what they were originally bred for. So dogs that are close to their original roots will preform the best the just might not look the way u want them to.
Yep...I knew that. But our Lab looked and acted just like him, so very much still had all the good traits of a Lab intact and in full force.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have only seen two Airedale terriers in my life and know nothing about them. Terriers in general have a high prey drive. Most if not all were bred to kill vermin or fight. Not much has changed in their mentality.
Hounds follow their nose, stomach, nose ,manly parts, and their nose. The fence is just something to go over, under, or around and in one beagle I owned, through. He found the one hole out of the 18 dogs I've owned. Only command they followed consistently was when I Ioaded the dog box in the truck and hollered let's go.
I don't know any of the German breeds that don't have a bad reputation when it comes to biting. Maybe Shorthaired pointers which are pretty versatile. Poor breeding has ruined Shepherds hips, Rottweilers have a high cancer rate.
Over the years the best dogs for watching over and playing with kids, following the rules, listening to commands and generally healthy have been mixed breeds that were part Lab.
Coyotes are only a rumor here. Our biggest predators are foxes, feral cats. More of a worry would be if the dog chased deer, which are everywhere, got lost or struck by a car.

Junior

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I've had 3 mastiffs. All of which were great with kids, animals and we only had a problem with one running away but that one was influenced by our goat at the time and probably wouldn't have run away otherwise.

They're probably too big but they are great guard dogs. Just wanted to let you know about this breed. Also, the drooling is never ending but you gotta love the big slobber dobbers.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've had 3 mastiffs. All of which were great with kids, animals and we only had a problem with one running away but that one was influenced by our goat at the time and probably wouldn't have run away otherwise.

They're probably too big but they are great guard dogs. Just wanted to let you know about this breed. Also, the drooling is never ending but you gotta love the big slobber dobbers.
The Mastiff we had was an "American " mastiff, so bred for tighter jowls which resulted in less drool. Not NO drool,but less.

And yeah, we didn't have a fenced yard even... but he stayed at home, he loved taking care of our babies and toddlers.

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So the original poster wants a dog that protects animals and kids. So that dog would have to have a prey drive that can be directed. A dog that's good with kids doesn't mean it will protect kids from human or animal threats.

Can u lock your dog in a flock of chickens and go to town for the day? Yes

Can a stranger approach your kids and wife? No

Can a stranger approach you with your back turned? No

Can your dog kill / chase off predators and return when called? Yes

Can your dog stop a charging steer from running over your wife ? Yes

Can a strange dog get close enough to touch your kid? No ( and heaven help the dog if it makes your kid cry)

I guess that's what I think about when I read a dog to protect animals and kids. A dog that will get in between the threat and it's charges. A dog that will die first. Are dogs don't want to sit on your lap and cuddle they get their pats on the head and then they leave u alone. The male one we had no one besides those that lived in our house could touch him. He would just smell them and walk away. When we or even I (with the male ) left for a few days they don't eat.

There are lots of nice dog breeds out there but can they preform what was asked and be the best at it.

Lab or golden are they nice dogs? Yes
Can they stop a raccoon from killing chickens?
Will the harm kids? No
Will they stop a stranger when needed?

Just because they're nice and bark doesn't mean alot to me.

Kinda like the phrase bringing a knife to a gun fight.