1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. All of your pig talk got me in TROUBLE!
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Contest Time!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Breed and sex?

Discussion in 'Breeds and Breeding - Rabbits' started by mamabun, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Dec 16, 2016
    mamabun

mamabun Ridin' The Range

Thank you BunnyLady. I thought the same as you at first. The one in the first picture is smaller, skittish, eating very little of pellet but eating lettuce, today hasn't eaten any pellet just lettuce. And the second photo the one in the cage was always jumping over the wall, eating all it's food even the odd treat, very active, didn't mind me picking it up. It is bigger.
    When I separated them and checked sex, the one I think is male when moved to the other side urinated on the blanket. However the smaller one that I think is the female is always hiding and running to get away. It had these 2 brownish sacks hanging or stuck to her the size/length of my thumb. Her last litter was around December 6th and they were all dead I was told. I understand their testicles are the size of cashews, These were bigger.

2. Dec 16, 2016
    Kaye

Kaye Loving the herd life

Wow. My very first thought was prolapse, but @Bunnylady has more experience than I do, and I trust her opinions. It very well could be an 'unfinished' litter.
    Are the breeding pair related?? Sibling to sibling can cause defects and deformities in the offspring. This could be why the litter died.
    I wish we had a picture to work with. Besides of the cute little Chinchillas. Is it an appendage?? Or does this look like something that isn't part of the rabbit??

3. Dec 16, 2016
    Kaye

Could you get a picture??

4. Dec 16, 2016
    mamabun

mamabun Ridin' The Range

Oh dear I hope they're not related. She is resting now so tomorrow I will post a picture if she will let me hold her again. It looks like something not part of the rabbit.

Kaye likes this.
  5. Dec 16, 2016
    Kaye

Please do. Maybe someone will be able to just look at the picture and tell you exactly what is going on.

Also, if you're going to try to raise meat rabbits I suggest keeping a journal. I have one and look back constantly to remember things like due dates and when the kits should be opening their eyes. It really does help a lot to have it there when you acquire more buns.
    http://www.backyardherds.com/threads/kayes-bunny-journal.34547/

6. Dec 16, 2016
    mamabun

mamabun Ridin' The Range

My husband said he will take the picture while I hold her. I will post them tomorrow (Saturday). That is a great idea about the journal. It will help a great deal, thank you!

Latestarter and Kaye like this.
  7. Dec 16, 2016
    mamabun

mamabun Ridin' The Range

Love your baby bunny pictures and pics with your dog!

Kaye likes this.
  8. Dec 16, 2016
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

To start your journal, scroll down the opening forum page and in the bottom section, "Social", you'll see a sub section that says member journals. If you open that link, at the top you'll see a button to "Post New Thread" that's the one to push and it will open a new page with a spot for your title (must start with your screen name) and a text box to start typing your opening post! :D There's also an already existing thread there with a "how to" do a journal article.

9. Dec 17, 2016
    mamabun

mamabun Ridin' The Range

This is great, I was trying to find something like a journal and this will do good, thank you.
    Mama didn't cooperate very good so picture isn't great. The little sacks were moving around while I was holding her. So think I figured it out she is the female and she is indeed pregnant. Now to wait and see when she delivers. Maybe the last owner was mistaken in her having a litter or it was from a previous one because these definitely look like baby sacks attached to her. Last night there was 2 longer ones outside her and today they were smaller but moving around. Do you think so too. I wish I got a picture last night, it might have been clearer. I can't take anymore because she is upset now. I will just leave her be and watch her closely.

Attached Files:

10. Dec 17, 2016
    promiseacres

promiseacres True BYH Addict

Hi.
    Hard to see your picture but it really sounds to me as if that's the buck. Testicles on a 6# rabbit will be larger than cashews. My 7.5# bucks testicles can be seen when he is just sprawled out relaxing. Also are you aware you cannot see the buck's penis unless you put some pressure beside their gentiles? So many people assume they have does because you can't see the penis.
    Kits don't normally attach to their mothers.

mysunwolf likes this.