Coffee anyone ?

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
New baby bunnies!

0916201807.jpg

There's eleven of them in there, not sure if she's gonna be able to feed them all but she's doing well so far. They were born the night before last so they're still pretty small and new.

These are English angoras so they are kinda like micro-sheep. Once they're about six months old they will start getting sheared every four months to provide 'wool' for yarn. They don't seem to mind their haircuts, though, they get happy and bouncy afterwards.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Niele da Kine that is a beautiful bunch of avocados! They grow in the Rio Grande Valley, in Texas, along the Mexican border in deep south Texas. They don't grow in northeast Texas LOL. Lucky you to have such a lovely, productive tree!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
New baby bunnies!

View attachment 77590

There's eleven of them in there, not sure if she's gonna be able to feed them all but she's doing well so far. They were born the night before last so they're still pretty small and new.

These are English angoras so they are kinda like micro-sheep. Once they're about six months old they will start getting sheared every four months to provide 'wool' for yarn. They don't seem to mind their haircuts, though, they get happy and bouncy afterwards.
Cute bunnies! Angora is so soft! Do you spin the wool? And what do you do with it?

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yum! Advocados.
Coffee is on. Got 12 pints of tomato sauce. Salsa, pickled jalapeños and the girls picked another 5 gal bucket of bell peppers o_O yesterday. Co op and get those rabbit cages clean. Might leave the potatoes until next week.
Any good camp meal suggestions? Can't decide our supper on Saturday.... doing burgers and hotdogs already. Hmm maybe something with peppers.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cool but such heavy cloud! A front from the NW (?) and Sally on the way with rains late day & into tomorrow. Looks like it could pop any minute. Glad I got what I did yesterday completed. Now I hope winds don't throw the pile of stuff from burn pile. Heavy trimmed a holly & a plum tree. Don't want to chase those limbs around! ;)

Guess it's an inside day or two for now.

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@Niele da Kine that is a beautiful bunch of avocados! They grow in the Rio Grande Valley, in Texas, along the Mexican border in deep south Texas. They don't grow in northeast Texas LOL. Lucky you to have such a lovely, productive tree!

We didn't plant the tree and the previous owner of the property didn't plant it, so it's likely over forty years old? It's huge in any case. We bought the property for the almost finished big workshop up by the avocado tree, the tree and the 2/1 extreme fixer upper are just kinda bonuses. Although as tasty as those avos are, buying the property for just the tree would almost be worth it.

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Cute bunnies! Angora is so soft! Do you spin the wool? And what do you do with it?

moonlitdance.jpg

The herd of angoras here at Hillside Farm Hawaii provide fiber for Hula Bunny yarn which is sold at a small shop here in town. It's a two ply fingering weight insanely soft yarn made of 40% English angora, 40% Merino sheep's wool and 20% silk. A small mom-n-pop woolen mill in Pennsylvania spins it for me since we don't have any woolen mills in Hawaii. I can spin it, but then it would take too long and I'd never have enough for the shop. I'd also have to charge more for it because of the time involved. Folks are also more used to commercially spun yarns and my home spun is a bit more 'rustic' than they're used to.

The picture of the silvery gray yarn is 'Moonlit Dance' and it's made with fiber from the black bunnies. There isn't any dye in Hula Bunny yarn so the color of the bunny makes the color of the yarn. There's also a tawny 'Beach Bunny' color from the tortoiseshell, chocolates and fawn colored bunnies. 'Coconut Dream' is a creamy white color from the albino bunnies' fiber. I may separate the chocolates from the torts/fawns and make a 'Mocha Bunny' color, although getting enough fiber for three colors is pretty labor intensive already. The mill needs six pounds of fiber to do a run of yarn and a bunny provides about four to six ounces each haircut and they get about three haircuts a year.

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yum! Advocados.
Coffee is on. Got 12 pints of tomato sauce. Salsa, pickled jalapeños and the girls picked another 5 gal bucket of bell peppers o_O yesterday. Co op and get those rabbit cages clean. Might leave the potatoes until next week.
Any good camp meal suggestions? Can't decide our supper on Saturday.... doing burgers and hotdogs already. Hmm maybe something with peppers.

Maybe some chili with the tomatoes and green peppers? (Green peppers can go in chili?) That could either be chili or sloppy joes, depending on how folks wanted to eat it?

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yep, if you can get them ripe rather than picked way too green/hard so they don't get damaged in transport. @Niele da Kine has it good in that respect!

Couple of decades ago there was some sort of incorrect report about some sort of disease or something in Hawaii avocados so they were banned from being shipped to the mainland. They lately (within the past few years) found out the original report was in error and now allow Sharwil avocados to be shipped to the mainland. Only one variety and only during a few months of the year. I think it has more to do with protecting someone's mainland avocado sales than anything actually to do with the avocados grown here. Which is a pity since Hawaii avocados are so much better than those silly little Hass avocados that get touted in mass media. Sharwils are a good avo, but there's still about ninety other varieties that can't be shipped.

We get the avos when they fall on the roof of the workshop. In the middle of the night we hear a 'bam! bumpity-bumpity-fump as they roll down the roof and fall to the ground. Doesn't seem to hurt them much they have a pretty thick skin. The tree provides for five households plus whoever else is wandering around. When it's not a Time of Covid, there'd be several weekly social gatherings to take extras to, but not sure how we will distribute them this year. They don't store well so we pretty much eat them fresh and in season. Fortunately it's a pretty long season.