Coffee anyone ?

MatthewsHomestead

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@MatthewsHomestead What’s going on with Rufus?
Stay tuned, I've got a novel to tell about it.....

Our power went off this afternoon. A truck topped a blind hill, lost control and hit a power pole, snapped it right off. The young man is not expected to make it. He was life flighted to Tyler.

View attachment 51965
Oh no!!!! Prayers for him and his family....

Ahhh - been at coffee for a while, before light out. But that was only 5:30. Heading out for shavings for goats, then some hay. I am so loaded with grass that no hay in stock here. BUT scattered showers yesterday, today, tomorrow -- THEN possible hurricane Florence may visit. Gotta be ready for that. We all know dairy goats to NOT do rain well. They will need to eat, so hay to buy. :cool: The mini horses just get wet and shake it off.

I did take 4 young bucklings to sale yesterday :clap Good girl. And I picked up a set of dog kennel panels "almost free" from a CL post. Light damage to fence on 2 but, patched...looked like damage from mower too close. Yeah, I know what that is:rolleyes: but, well repaired and @ $40, I am good with it! Section with gate not damaged, NICE! 4 - 10X6's. Plus 2-4X6 gates, 1 4X4 gate and another panel 10X4 also part of deal. They were moving...several things out there. :)

Guess I better get a move on -- have to be at work at 1230. :D Ya'll have a great day...we East coasters are planning for our visit from Flo. :idunno :frow
I just hope she loses strength and doesn't screw up our weekend....

MatthewsHomestead

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Ok, so I was all excited because it seemed like Rufus was a great fit, that he got along and didn't go after my chickens. He just wanted to play with George and the goats. Well he pissed Rose off and she kicked him across the pasture.... He didn't have any injuries, thank God, but that set off a chain of events..... A chicken turned up dead. Then one went missing..... He stopped listening to BASIC commands, forgot his name. Started running off to terrorize the neighbors chickens, started pooping and peeing ONLY in the house, knocked my clean dishes off the counter where they were drying and chewed up all my cooking utensils, tore up fencing, howls like he is dying when I crate him, chewed off two leashes, and that's just the little things. I've tried going for walks with him, I've tried working on basic commands again.... He just went from a good dog to a menace. He is still super lovable and cuddly, but everything else is off. And he hasn't responded at all to any training techniques.... My husband now wants him gone. I went to a rancher friend of ours and asked him for advice.... He said he wouldn't deal with what ive been dealing with and that the dalmation in him makes him dumb.... We talked about why I have him... How he was basically dumped in my lap. (I'm usually a glass half full and find the silver lining type of person).... This dog is driving me and my family insane. Mostly for me it's because he was good until he wasn't good and I don't know what else to do or try.... Every suggestion people have had is stuff I've been doing hoping and praying for any signs of improvement.....Nada. anyways, the rancher friend gave me one of his pups. A 3/4 BH 1/4 BC, tips on how to get her started right, and the offer to bring her over to learn from his experienced dogs.... She has been a dream to work with.... She listens, knew her name within an hour of having her, sniffed my little diddles and then stood guard over them and wouldn't let George near to sniff them, knows "no", "off", "come", "good girl", sit, stay, potty..... She is soooooo smart and such a joy to work with. Her whole body wags when she gets praised for doing good....

Meet Belle, our Blue Heeler/Border Collie pup....

Or not, pic won't load.

Well anyways.... This is just all a mess....

I feel like a terrible dog owner. I love him, but I can't tolerate him, and I'm at my wit's end.... Is it possible that being kicked by a horse made him brain dead, cuz that's what he acts like...

Attachments

• IMG_20180907_152147.jpg
    IMG_20180907_152147.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 66

MatthewsHomestead

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have a friend on another forum who is insisting that every dog is trainable.... I'm trying everything I can.... It makes me feel really bad to hear them basically disapproving that I'm looking for another home for him and that I got the pup.... This friend said that I give up too easy. In a way I feel like maybe I am, but I haven't yet.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a friend on another forum who is insisting that every dog is trainable.... I'm trying everything I can.... It makes me feel really bad to hear them basically disapproving that I'm looking for another home for him and that I got the pup.... This friend said that I give up too easy. In a way I feel like maybe I am, but I haven't yet.
ask your "good" friend to take Rufus... I agree dalmations are difficult and not for everyone. I love the new pup! wishing we were ready!!

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
I believe every dog is trainable as well however what works for others may not work for you and your dog. Some dog/owner combination may not be a good fit but it doesn't mean that the dog is a bad dog or the owner is a bad owner. It all depends on the dog and the owner's situation (time, space...)

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score

He isn't a good fit for you... ... move on.... and no, don't feel bad about it.

:hugs