Coffee anyone ?

MatthewsHomestead

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have always loved the husky/malamute dogs and their markings. Had a friend that bred them. But one thing, please be advised as per the friend that bred and raised them for over 30 years.....they are very often NOT poultry friendly. It seems to be bred into them to kill chickens. NOT SAYING this will automatically happen. Just want you to be extra careful with your birds, and make sure you are around with them interacting. I would hate for something to happen to the birds, then have you learn that they have some tendencies, and say you wished someone had told you.

I have had German Shepards and crosses for years. Most were all very tolerant and disinterested in the poultry. One I got would ignore the birds when I was around after the first few lessons and scoldings to not chase them. She would lay there and the birds would be out and she would ignore them. About 6 months later, had a bird get killed. Then a few days later, another. Finally, I parked up the road on an afternoon at the time I would normally go to work and snuck back down through the field to spy. I caught her just laying around, then all of a sudden, would jump up and grab one and kill it. She was a sneak killer and we parted ways not long after that. I had never had one do that sort of thing so wasn't looking for it but had come up with no other solution. So I am only trying to give you a "heads up" to watch the husky as she grows.
We are actually making upgrades to turn two sheds into full coops with safely enclosed runs. Don't want to take chances.

MatthewsHomestead

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The cause of my husbands slight jealousy.... She chose to cuddle with me not him!

Attachments

• IMG_20190113_140155.jpg
    IMG_20190113_140155.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 50

MatthewsHomestead

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
People are on their way to pick up Jupiter. We had a coyote attack a couple weeks ago. Got two of our pigs and Grandma the white goat. Three nights in a row. He is lonely and needs a herd.... No more goats for us. Not for a while.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
First two are Belle. Second two are Elsa. Last two are my new chickens (pics from farm iIgot them from. I haventhatook any yet). A trio of Russian Orloff and a quad of Mottled Orpington.View attachment 57032 View attachment 57033 View attachment 57034 View attachment 57035 View attachment 57036 View attachment 57037
I always wanted to try Orloffs! (They fit all of my cold weather and old breed chicken wants) but couldn't fond a good breeder who would ship up here.

Tell me how you like them.

SonRise Acres

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Coffee is on.
9° F.... :duc
Have 4 hungry day old kits praying their momma feeds them today.

Coffee in hand in the cup my oldest son gave me for the holidays. It holds a LOT of coffee!
I need to stop complaining about our 30° highs. But we live in an area with 112 days in the summer so we aren’t accustomed to it.

Hoping your momma gets her kits all fed and going strong.

We have one doe due soon. Anytime from today, though she’s showing me no signs as of last night. If she delivers we are hoping for a daylight delivery. Our last doe who delivered did so at midnight. With a big light and a powerful flashlight we still named a kid June that we had to rename Jude 2 days later when I noticed our mistake. Haha. It also means I will be pulling out my favorite insulated coffee cup after this morning. I have poured coffee in it, went out and delivered quads, cleaned up, made sure everyone was nursing and walking, came back in and still had piping hot coffee in my cup. It’s my kidding go-to tool.