Coffee anyone ?

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
What makes Lightening have ulcers? Not trying to be a know it all, because I surely dont, but if you treat him and the ulcer comes back, then maybe look for the cause? Your husband thinks you can do anything.......I'm sure with just cause. You are awesome and I never fail to be impressed with your many accomplishments.

Thanks for the coffee, woke up at 3-ish, finally we gave up and got up. I have a 6 pound pork roast in the crockpot, started it last night. I'm going to make pineapple pork today.
He was not well fed last year before we got him, that's why they sold him and another horse last summer. Animal Control was called at one time and was told they were pretty much starving at one time. This can cause ulcers. He's so cinchy, touchy about anything on his belly, kicks when we girth him up, ect. So in December I ordered a supplement to give him some relief, he was a lot better so stopped it after 2 months... but am restarting it because it does help. Scoping them by a vet is extremely expensive and OTC supplements help that's what most vets recommend.
I actually have a ton of anxiety with the horses... sucks as I do absolutely love it and the more I ride the better I am... I rarely go over a trot (I want to) and I know the horses feel it.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Up and drinking...coffee. :) rain last night and about gone, except overcast. 5 days of this and just not needed. Place is so, so messy, muddy, slick. :(. I'll do chores and go do a couple jobs. Keeps me from fretting over my "farm can't do" stuff. 😁

Ulcers...some horses are just prone. I guess they have anxious nature, or gastric issues chemically. Things you can't really see, unlike a cut. Sometimes some alfalfa pellets help buffer the gut. No doubt @promiseacres has tried it all. May have to keep him on meds.

Better get myself out there!!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've always had good luck fattening up a skinny horse. Pearl has been one darned hard challenge. She was so starved, her guts were all messed up. She pooped patties like a cow, wet farts and dribbles that ran down her legs. There was undigested feed and hay in her poop patties. I gave her probiotics, even live culture yogurt. I swear, I don't know how that poor horse was even living when we bought her. I've thrown everything at her but the kitchen sink. Unbelievable.

I finally concluded that I could not restore her to good health because she probably NEVER had good health. 2 years later and she is FINALLY filling out. I'm feeding her twice a day, a lot, scared at first that I would founder her, but she has not foundered. She gets 14% pellets and cracked corn. Plus all the hay she wants. Her ribs don't show anymore and I can't feel them either. Her poor bony back is finally getting some meat on it and her flanks are no longer wasp-waisted. They are still caved in, but nothing like they were. I didn't even ride her because she was so skinny that I was afraid that people would think that I didn't feed her. I finally said to heck with it and saddled up. She is looking the best she ever has, it's been a long road and we have further to go. I can't wait to see her filled out, slick and shiny.

Palomino

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
She gets 14% pellets and cracked corn. Plus all the hay she wants. Her ribs don't show anymore and I can't feel them either. Her poor bony back is finally getting some meat on it and her flanks are no longer wasp-waisted. They are still caved in, but nothing like they were. I didn't even ride her because she was so skinny that I was afraid that people would think that I didn't feed her. I finally said to heck with it and saddled up. She is looking the best she ever has, it's been a long road and we have further to go. I can't wait to see her filled out, slick and shiny.
You might look into offering soaked beet pulp to Pearl. It's very easy to find, not expensive, easy for the horse to digest and will put weight on her back and rump. You'd be amazed at the results. I depend on it to keep all of my horses in condition, especially because some are hard keepers and they all love it. I've also recommended it to friends who had rescued horses in really poor condition and it turned them around in a few weeks. One horse even went from hardly being strong enough to walk to running and playing.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with @Palomino about the beet pulp. It worked well for Luke who was a very hard keeper. I fed him a senior mix for a few years and it helped but was super expensive. Then I switched to COB, beet pulp and BOSS and it was not only much more affordable, it really kept him in condition.
I also gave him free choice grass hay all day, and two feedings of alfalfa.
Syringa is so easy in comparison.

CLSranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good morning all.
I've put vegie oil in/ on feed before to fatten up a horse. Never heard of the beet pulp. Good to know.
I've been meaning to take my bows in for a month now. I've got a long bow I'd like to know the actual poundage on so I can get the right arrows. I bought a compound last year with a bow fishing set up. Still has no sights, arrow rest, stabilizer or even the pep sight in the string. Was waiting to get home 1st and support a local guy I know.