Kaye

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My box of chocolates
5 milk chocolate and 3 dark chocolate. Haha
I have two that ears is starting to lop already!!

Attachments

• IMG_1531.JPG
    IMG_1531.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 92

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pretty well.
One doe is down to 5 from 6, but I was already watching for it.
Still have 17 out of 18 left. I will try to get some pics one of these days. Usually rushed for time when I am out there with them.
Thanks for asking

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have 15 left out of 18 kits born a week ago today, Friday, and Saturday.
I feel the rest may be in the clear.
Here is a pic of one of the litters.
The buck is a mystery. I got him with the cage a year and half ago. He has a great disposition and looks like a white lop with light gray ears.
The does are all NZW, and every kit looks like a broken pattern white and black.

20170223_090035.jpg

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Pastor Dave - these kits are agouti patterned (see the white insides of the ears?) so they will probably turn out to be broken chestnuts (though they might be broken chinchillas, too). Since all of them are brokens, I'm thinking that your buck is what we call a "Charlie;" a rabbit that has two copies of the broken pattern gene. Charlies typically have very little color; often just on the ears, around the eyes, maybe a little bit on the nose, and a spot or two on the body.

20170223_090035-jpg.28305

Last edited:

Kaye

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I agree with @Bunnylady those are very beautiful broken agouti kits. I love them. The ears are what really gives it away. The white inside laced with dark. Is agouti. Even my agouti bobcats have the dark laced ears

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 85

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
I will get a good pic of him one of these days. Like I said, when I tried getting my operation set up late summer of '15, the lady sold me 4 or 5 cages in which was occupied the buck in question, a NZW Jr doe, and a brownish red satin Jr doe. I still have the NZW doe , and she has been a great breeder. The brown doe and the buck had some neat color combinations. Browns, blacks, and even a silvery color with black mixed in evenly. Hard to describe that color.
@Bunnylady, did I see something on here very recently abt being careful of breeding a broken pattern gene recepient that had two sets due to digestion concerns? I would like to save a buck sometime out of this Charlie just because he is so mild dispositioned. Is that still safe?
Oh, and speaking if which. I saved a Jr doe from the brown/red Satin doe and the Charlie buck. She appears to be white with broken brown pattern. Her ears look like they will stand up. I'll get a pic of her also. Her mother was fairly calm too, so I wanted to save one of her does.
Sorry, lots if questions today Thanks