Latestarter's ramblings/musings/gripes and grumbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lightly sprinkling here now, rain expected to begin early tonight. Tomorrow will be fun.
frirain.jpg

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Too funny STA... :lol: Thanks, as sore as I am right now, I needed that! My knees are done. Wrists and hands are sore but still working (obviously). My back is screaming "warning, warning, warning!" Like, any more and it's gonna go too.

Cloudy from the time I woke up and humidity increasing. Felt the first sprinkles around 1pm. Steady misty/light rain by ~ 3pm. I got 1/2 way through and picked up a smoke gray panel only to find it was cracked and had holes punched in it. :rant:somad:he I pulled from the rack in groups, so never saw it until I started separating them out to use them. It was right in the center of a group of 5. I bought 20, so there was no issue with them hanging over the tail gate. Returning just the one and bringing back one is gonna be a PITA. :rant

So I continued to work as long as I could. When the deck got too slippery for the ladder, I figured that was it. I couldn't finish anyway with the one damaged panel. So here's where we are now. I have 2 more rows to put up, one more short clear panel and then the end smoke gray one.
:
goat shack 2018-12-6.JPG

The "blue" panels are actually a smoke gray color and translucent. They are UV treated and reduce sunlight to ~37%. The "white" ones are actually clear, also UV treated but let full light in. I fed them their evening pellets inside and that was one royal cluster... Bang was running between all the buckets which had everyone going crazy. Since the wall in the center is just studs, there was no way to stop them all from running and freaking out. When I brought them their hay, it was a little better and I managed to keep them to their normally assigned groups.

They have no excuses now if they get wet.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm impressed @Latestarter ; that's pretty cotton picking good with the time frame you were working in. Yeah, PITA to return the panel; but the goats have an 80% done building for the shelter part... there will the usual jockeying for position but they can all get in out of the worst of it. And God forbid, even if someone gets kicked out, they can still get underneath if absolutely necessary... So let them get over it. Obviously, Bang is a little bit over the top, so if necessary, clip her with a lead so that she cannot go from bucket to bucket, tie her to the studs that will be part of the center divider, subdue her in some way, and it might be able to stop some of the chaos.

I think you did very good.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
subdue her in some way, and it might be able to stop some of the chaos.

I think you did very good.

I so agree with that!! BOTH things.

Take some pain meds, use heat, cold --whatever works best for you -- relax! They are fine..hugely better than yesterday or last week. Put a piece of fence on the divider wall to make Bang need to walk a long way around, LOL. Relax and watch your football over the weekend -- you earned it. :)

You can put most anything under the board to direct the drip line water off and beyond the areas you would prefer to stay drier, not wash away. At some point, even a trench ( little hoe work)could divert an accumulation beyond the point of most concern. It will help until you work out another collection system.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Derek Henry just ran 99 yards for a touchdown for the Titans. :)

Your goat castle looks great by the way. I do a ton of stuff by myself so I can appreciate how much effort it takes for you to have gotten that done. I keep a couple of 10' foot 2x4's around to use as a base just to be able to haul long items.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I am a BYH addict... It's been 4 hours since my last post... :) Most of it has been spent dozing in my recliner. Most of the really bad pain has mitigated some. I can hear the goats' hooves bouncing around out in their new shack. I'd like to put on my head lamp and go look to see how they're all positioned in there, but I don't want to get them all stirred up. It's been continuing light rain pretty steady since my last post. Heaviest rain isn't supposed to hit till tomorrow & on into Saturday. Now they forecast partly sunny on Sunday. If we get the rain they're saying, it's gonna take days for everything to dry back out again. So doesn't look like I'll be doing anymore shack work till probably mid week next week. Maybe Sunday I'll try to get that bad panel returned/replaced.

Mel and Elf are both inside. :) Mel told me he did extra barking over the past couple of days to "get ahead" on scaring the coyotes away so he wouldn't have to stay out in the rain. Elf has taken to standing on top of the jacuzzi cover, staring in the window at me and whining o_O First time I saw his face there when I looked out the window it freaked me out. Had NOT expected that. Mel was extra needy and wouldn't let me alone. Couldn't figure out what he wanted. Then it dawned on me, he wanted to go in my bedroom and sleep on the carpeted floor at the foot of the bed. :love I normally have the back of the house blocked off and my bedroom door closed when they're inside because they bring in so much dirt. Floor needs vacuumed anyway, so I guess no big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.