Latestarter's ramblings/musings/gripes and grumbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, today is Pearl Harbor Day. My Daddy was in the navy 8 years, before, during and after WW2. It's my brother's birthday too, he was a Vietnam veteran and has been gone for 5-6 years.
There are only 5 remaining USS Arizona survivors and they are all in their 90s and in health too poor to attend this year's Dec 7 memorial service. This will be the first year ever that there are no survivors present for the service, and their may never again be any physically present for it.
The human connection to WW2 is fast beginning to be lost, just as it was with previous conflicts.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Well, the weather guessers got it right so far. It has been wet on wet and more wet to come. Haven't checked the rain gauge. No thunder and nothing pouring down, just steady and continuous.
upload_2018-12-7_17-37-13.png

Looks like Bay and Devon are getting it heavier than me but that big yellow blob w/sw of the arrow (me) is moving my direction. :hu Folks down Houston way are getting it heavier still Like FEM and GB... speaking of which, seems I recall not too long ago GB posted pictures of his back field with the river coming up... I wonder if that's happening again now? Been a lot of orange on the radar down his way.

Finished animal chores a bit ago. Goats got fed in their new abode. Getting to be a much smoother evolution each time. Much more hay waste though as what they push out on the floor, they won't eat. Might have to feed them a lot less at a time so they don't dive for the best bits first, destroying all the rest in the process. Maybe if they're like really hungry, they'll be less picky and just dive in and eat vice digging down to the stuff on the bottom. Alternatively, I could feed them outside in the rain. Then they'll be more worried about getting wet and not want to be out there any longer than possible, so maybe again they'll just eat vice being so damned selective. Maybe I'm just feeding them too well/too high a quality stuff? :idunno

So after washing my hands, I put a 1/2 chicken in the oven for dinner. Have a bowl of (Betty Crocker) cheesy scalloped potatoes I'll add to the oven here in about 10 minutes so they'll be done at the same time. Already added the boiling water, milk and butter so they'll have a bit to reconstitute before starting to cook. I've found that makes them cook and taste better. Getting hungry. Dinger just went off to put the potatoes in.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's been pouring here now for nearly 3 hours.
The river won't be back up again until the upstream water gets here. Maybe 96 hrs .....approx.

What I'm getting, points further NE are gonna get. This was a couple hours ago:
rainy friday.jpg

Nothin much changed since, except it's getting heavier.
rainyfriday2.jpg

Starting to get a little wind..
I'll be very surprised if the electricity stays on thru the night.

Last edited:

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
My brother said they got about the same at his house through the day with a high of 41.....rain through sunday with a chance of snow/freezing rain before it ends.....just miserable weather for sure. We are suppose to have thunder showers here on sunday from the same front, but temps will stay above 50 for lows.....:)

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Through 8 AM Saturday morning

* A cold front extended from near Cleveland to Sugar Land to
Palacios and this features will continue to sag very slowly
southward tonight. The front may briefly stall as low pressure
develops along the front. The front coupled with a potent upper
level system will produce widespread showers and isolated
thunderstorms tonight with periods of heavy rainfall. Storm
total rainfall amounts of 2 to 6 inches are expected over most
of the area with slightly higher totals possible. Rainfall
should come to an end early Saturday morning.

* This episode of heavy rainfall could result in isolated flash
flooding along area roadways, underpasses and low lying areas as
well as small creeks and tributaries. The heavy rainfall and
runoff will likely lead to flooding on some of the ...blah blah blah..

I have dumped 6+ inches since 5pm today. I need to take a ride and see how things are looking on the road leading in & out.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Man... It is a perfectly @Sheepshape kinda day here ;). 44°f (6.6°c), gray, cloudy, drizzly, cold, damp.
Got it in one, Latestarter.....pretty similar in July, too. We've had the wood burner lit for about 6 weeks. Living in a traditional property with 2 foot thick stone walls and gaps everywhere, the temperature ALWAYS struggles to go up.

Our forecast today is again for heavy rain/hail. If it ever gets light today I'll take a few pics. so you get a visual idea, if not the feel of the climate.

Sorry to hear your wrist is sore,Latestart....I always turn to ibuprofen ( I think one of the brands is Advil in your parts).....in fact, there's always something aching these days. I hope it settles soon.

Clearly your goats don't like the weather (who can blame them?). My hill sheep (thick, waterproof-type fleece) barely seem to notice the rain. The Blue Faced Leicesters with their thin curls hate it, though.

5 weeks post pneumonia I'm still coughing as though I'm a 20-a-day user......if the damp would back off a bit, I'm sure things would improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.