Farmer Connie

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hello I am semi hobby farm owner in North Central Florida.
I have started this thread to share some of things we do. I will update it periodically with random videos, photos, events and our trials and tribulations. There is never a dull moment while running a farm.
My husband and in our fifties now but we refuse to slow down. Our children have now provided grandchildren, our farm has provided us with quality time.
Tons of poultry, pigs goats and plenty of rain this season.
Thank you for taking the time to reading my ramblings and thanks to BYH for providing the medium for me to share!

FC.

Farmer Connie

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Nice. I love winter time to be able to quit hassling with the hay and mowing. Just have to deal with the freezing and thawing water bottles. Lol
I do better with low heat and so do my rabbits. They prefer 50-70degs, and I would say I do too. I am ready for Fall!
Your right about the mowing! We mow our residents area at a min of twice a week, the goats are loving the pasture paddocks though. We had a record mild winter last, hopefully it won't be a hard one coming up. The rain and mosquito pop is our only hardship right now.
How many bunnies do you have?
They just opened a Rural King just around the corner and we were checking out the rabbits they had. Cute little things..

The prices at Rural King are an average of $2 lower across the board.. All the feed stores in this area have to be felling the hit. Cracked corn at RK is under $7.. everywhere here it is $11 or higher. We use a lot of corn. So that savings is going to help a bunch.
Pretty sure the rest of our local stores will slowly drop their prices instead of slowly raising them like they have been.

There is one store here that sells c/corn for $14.99/50#!
It is kinda like the Walmart killed the mom&pop era but feed is draining us dry. So it sounds like I am a little selfish by preferring to use major retail over local but we have to eat too.
Anyway, love your rabbits! Thanks for the post. FC

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nice pigs! We only raise feeder pigs, I will happily support those who keep sows and a boar. We're in northeast Texas where it is hot as blazes also. Summer is good for raising a garden, hay and air conditioning bill. LOL

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cracked corn at RK is under $7.. everywhere here it is $11 or higher. We use a lot of corn. So that savings is going to help a bunch.

Corn at the elevator is bringing around $3.80/bushel whole corn.
There's 56lbs in a bushel of corn. Cracked & sacked will add about $1/bu wholesale at the mill. It's selling resale here at around $7.50-$8.20 per 50 lb sack.

farmer: noun /far-mer/ sells at wholesale, buys at retail and pays the freight both ways

Farmer Connie

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Summer is good for raising a garden, hay and air conditioning bill. LOL
You made me laugh about raising the a/c bill.:lol:
We have been trying to keep the stat at 84° during the day because of the bill. All of the poultry brooders jacked up last months bill too.
Last years garden was in a serious drought conditions. We had to irrigate daily and that added to the bills. This year we had so much rain it yellowed and washed out our gardens.. Always something. Oh well...
Thanks for the chuckle!:)

Last edited:

Farmer Connie

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Corn at the elevator is bringing around $3.80/bushel whole corn.
There's 56lbs in a bushel of corn. Cracked & sacked will add about $1/bu wholesale at the mill. It's selling resale here at around $7.50-$8.20 per 50 lb sack.

farmer: noun /far-mer/ sells at wholesale, buys at retail and pays the freight both ways
We do have 3 TSC stores in our county. They sell c/corn for less than a ten spot. It's some of the Equine stores that have the big prices. Most of the horse farms in Ocala put the cost on their account. There are some major huge big $ horse farms in our neck of the woods.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Farmer Connie, I have 4 breeding does and two bucks. I keep two does paired up on a breeding schedule offset from the other two by abt 5 weeks. When one pair kindled, the other pair get bred.

As two litters of weaned bunnies are going to grow out pens(feeder pens) my other two does kindle their litters. In five weeks when those two litters are ready to wean, the two litters that have grown out to 5lbs by 10 weeks are ready to process. And, the cycle continues.

I have 11 cages, and one is a spare. I generally at any one time have high 20's to mid 30's in my shed.

Latest posts