Lol yet another fencing thread

Crealcritter

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Well... This fence doesn't look like anything I would want to spend time putting up. It's way to thin and looks like it's cheaply made. Now the question is... Is my expectations to high? 5 acres I would need 6 rolls actually 5 3/4 rolls. @$240.00 a roll it's $1440.00 minus any taxes, clips and what nots...
IMG_20201231_140906317_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201231_140917623_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think I already said that half our place is the Gaucho and half is Red Brand. I like the Gaucho better, it stays tighter than Red Brand under animal pressure, requires fewer posts since you can stretch it tighter and in spite of it's light appearance, it is stronger Red Brand.

Crealcritter

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I think I already said that half our place is the Gaucho and half is Red Brand. I like the Gaucho better, it stays tighter than Red Brand under animal pressure, requires fewer posts since you can stretch it tighter and in spite of it's light appearance, it is stronger Red Brand.

So looks are decieving then? Red Brand has much larger wire diameter and looks like a much better fence. But you know looks can be decieving.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We put up the Red Brand, good thick wire, right? Uhhhh...... POS. Didn't stretch worth a durn, I pulled on it until the tractor front tires were off the ground. It is wavy at the top. It is not tight. We worked our a$$es off on that fence!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
There is a different method to putting up, and stretching the high tensile fencing, like gaucho, and red brand fence that is a different type of wire.
We put up mostly all red brand or another type of wire. I personally don't care for high tensile fencing that is single wire, and don't have much experience with the high tensile woven wire fencing.

So some of it has to do with your experience in putting up fence. I can tell you, contrary to what I would think was common sense.... fencing should be stretched from both ends to the middle to get proper tensile strength, then attached at the junction point. I went to a fencing school and watched the professionals and really got some new insight on fence building. I am not going to try to do any woven wire fencing myself anymore. I will help with the post driver, I will "nail off" the fencing at the posts with staples, but the actual building/stretching I will leave to my son or an expert. It takes some expertise to get the right stretch, and to get it to stay tight after.
The best thing about high tensile fence is it's ability to "bounce back" after a tree or other thing falls on it. Even the woven wire fence will come back to a semblance of normal after a tree or something falls on it.

Crealcritter

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
CFO gave me the go ahead on fencing 5 acres. So I'm just waiting for some spare time to get going... I'm only like a year behind :rolleyes:. I'll have to bump fencing up on the priority list... Decided on Gaucho 30 year on 6 1/2 t-posts along with a runs of of 11.5 guage electric wire.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think you will like that fence. I have one run that had a tree fall down on it and packed down about the top 18 inches. I cleared it off and only the top couple of inches were bent down and I was able to straighten that out. I do have hot and ground on top that held a lot of the weight. It wasn't a big tree and was only around 6 inches at the base and of course less at the point that came down.

Crealcritter

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I think you will like that fence. I have one run that had a tree fall down on it and packed down about the top 18 inches. I cleared it off and only the top couple of inches were bent down and I was able to straighten that out. I do have hot and ground on top that held a lot of the weight. It wasn't a big tree and was only around 6 inches at the base and of course less at the point that came down.

Hot and ground on top? Wouldn't the fence itself be ground, so you would only need a hot wire or does the Bezinal coating inhibit electric current?

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
The hot wires aren't attached to the fence but are ran above the fence. If an animal touches both a hot and ground wire at the same time, they close the circuit and receive a shock.

Latest posts