AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I do theme names for animals that don't come with names or I might get mixed up or confused because they look alike.
We have Betty Davis and Bonnie Parker the twin nubian does, JD came with Blackberry for a name so that's on his papers as Blackberry JD, the 3 boer/kiko does are named off Dark Shadows characters, the two pygmy does are named after flowers.
I also let my kids name critters that aren't going anywhere. I find when kids name them, they can't get sold because the kids get uptight.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
My kids get uptight about EVERY animal that leaves our farm. It doesn't matter if that they knew from the get-go what the plan was for said animal. Sometimes it flat wears me out. Other, I miss and don't want to say goodbye to either.

I'll keep updating this post as the goat kids arrive. T-10 days give or take and the first additions should make their long-awaited arrival!

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh mine too, if they had it their way, nothing would ever end up in the freezer or sold. I had to fight with my daughters over butchering excess roosters this last summer - I had 7! We cut it down to 2. I sent 2 buck rabbits and 2 of our goats to auction a couple of weeks ago and the fight over the rabbits was extreme. Neither of them pets either, but no complaints about the obnoxious goats that went lol.

That's why I do theme names, it helps me remember, even though I write everything down. Such as the pygmy does being flower names, I'd name their babies something related, like rose, if we planned on keeping them. That way, I know just by name who parents are, without having to go look it up.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Update: Diamond had triplets (2 bucklings, 1 doeling) on 1/23. We named them Jackson, Jericho, and Jasmine. Everyone was happy with the names. Jasmine is staying for sure. One of the bucklings will be retained but I haven’t made a final decision.

Up next is Snowflake. She’s a FF so we will have to see what names her kids get...

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
hope the naming of Snowflake's kids goes well for you! We usually wait and watch the kids for several days to see what their personality is like before naming..we have a Moose, Monkey, Pepper, Clove, Mayhem...not sure what this year's names will be

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have a cow named Elsa. I wanted to name her Queen and DD1 heard me say it and assumed Queen Elsa so we just went with Elsa.

I haven’t really given names for Snowflake’s kids much thought yet. I’ll start on that and get back to you! ;)

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
DD1 will have to approve something along the lines of a princess/heroine...:barnie

Latest posts