newton's the goats journal

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
I did a colony set up for rabbits. It works best to keep bucks separate so you know when kits will be born but if it doesn't matter then leave them to run loose with the does. Not all does or rabbits are good in that set up and once there is blood drawn in a scuffle, they are usually mortal enemies for life. Have plenty of places to hide and visual blocks and that will improve the odds of them cohabiting peacefully. You can not just throw adult rabbits together, the best bet is to buy all pre sexually mature rabbits and raise them together in the set up (8-12 weeks no older if I were doing it) and that will give you a MUCH higher chance of success. Have several feeding and watering areas to reduce stress. I think there is a general rule of thumb for 5-10 square feet per doe in a colony? I can't be certain. I raised mine in a large multi teared cage that allowed for them to each have their own level, see each other and escape each other easily. I also had a pen that was large and had several levels for them to go up if they wanted. Every rabbit is different and some do better than others.

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I did a colony set up for rabbits. It works best to keep bucks separate so you know when kits will be born but if it doesn't matter then leave them to run loose with the does. Not all does or rabbits are good in that set up and once there is blood drawn in a scuffle, they are usually mortal enemies for life. Have plenty of places to hide and visual blocks and that will improve the odds of them cohabiting peacefully. You can not just throw adult rabbits together, the best bet is to buy all pre sexually mature rabbits and raise them together in the set up (8-12 weeks no older if I were doing it) and that will give you a MUCH higher chance of success. Have several feeding and watering areas to reduce stress. I think there is a general rule of thumb for 5-10 square feet per doe in a colony? I can't be certain. I raised mine in a large multi teared cage that allowed for them to each have their own level, see each other and escape each other easily. I also had a pen that was large and had several levels for them to go up if they wanted. Every rabbit is different and some do better than others.
All three of my bunnies are 9 weeks old so they seem to all be fairly happy together!
I am still building on their elcosure and am hoping to make several levels for them in the later future.

And @Bruce and @Latestarter good question. Bryce is doing well sorry for not updating you guys recently. He is growing quickly and it feels like just yesterday he was a newborn in the hospital and now hes a loud little rooster crowing constantly in the early hours of the morning.
20180506_092010.jpg

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Boy this week has been a roller coaster. I learned something this week that will change quite a bit in my dealings with my sheep, atleast diet wise.... this week.... i had my first ever case of listeria.... and as quickly as i discovered it, it was over in less than an hour... this journal is for my lil dale.. he was the ram lamb i wanted to keep. The sweetheart who had me fully inlove with his little antics from the first moment i saw him has been put down earlier this week....
20180303_091656.jpg

I got home from my boyfriends house and found him unable to control one side of his body, ear drooping, unable to see properly, and even running in circles. My dad did some research and even called the vet who told us "unless you are will to spend atleast a thousand dollars on a treatment that may not even work i would suggest that the most humane thing is to put him down".... i wish i could have done more and i wish i didnt have to say goodbye.... damn this isnt really my week is it.. :\
Goodbye little dale, im sorry you were my first loss :(.
Love you little buddy :hit
20180421_183920.jpg

Anyways to try and make this sad journal a bit happier i have good news ive officially graduated college and im the apprentice sausage maker at the butcher shop!
Here a pic of my bf ( i swear he doesnt typically look that goofy :idunno) and i with our diplomas.
20180426_173836.jpg

Anyways i hope you week is going better than mine. Lesson has been learned and i will be switching up their diet once they need supliments again ( since we have a feild full of grass that is taller than the sheep themselves!
20180524_121456.jpg

You guys are an awesome group that i am glad to have found. Thanks for always being there with advice when i need it.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ah Newton :( :hitI don't know anything about sheep diseases. I guess Listeria must be one of the worst seeing as how Dale went so fast.

Congratulations on graduating and your apprenticeship. :thumbsup
I guess the butcher decided you are OK and the lead sausage maker got his head out of his ... um ... sausage stuffing machine?

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Ah Newton :( :hitI don't know anything about sheep diseases. I guess Listeria must be one of the worst seeing as how Dale went so fast.

Congratulations on graduating and your apprenticeship. :thumbsup
I guess the butcher decided you are OK and the lead sausage maker got his head out of his ... um ... sausage stuffing machine?
Basically some of the corn in our sheep feed went bad and he got the bad chuck without me knowing and it poisoned him. It made him blind and affected him neurologically so he had a loss of balance and the inability to walk in a straight line. Im kinda relieved he went so quickly and that his pain was only present for a little while at most.

And ya it seems like my bods has finally gotten his head outa his sausage stuffer :lol:

Latest posts