Our Steer is Here!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
He won
He is so adorable and I've enjoyed reading along. Knowing what he ate and how he was treated, he's going to taste way better than any meat I buy from the grocery store! :lol:
He won't be the dark red heavy beef, because he will be young, the meat will be a lighter color. The last home raised beef I had was years ago, from a young steer. The meat was so tender, I could poke my finger through the steaks. I'm really looking forward to this!

Our DD and family are getting half of Goldie. They finally bought a freezer. They also have decided they want half a pig in August. I think I am converting them to real food...... LOL They always get chicken, they usually only want the breast.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Where I live any taxidermist will tan hides or send them out. People get deer hides tanned pretty often here.

Goldie is looking good, Not much longer now. I keep looking at our cows and thinking.....are they growing? Cows grow so slowly, esp diary it seems. No matter how much grain they get they still look thin and I hate it.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks @misfitmorgan. Goldie is gaining nicely. I'm ready for some BEEF. While we raise chicken, pork and lamb, nothing takes the place of beef. I haven't had cattle for over 20 years, I'm looking forward to home raised beef.

I bet you are. Home raised is so much tastier then store bought. We lucked out when we traded two piglets for 30Lbs of ground beef spring of last year. We still have about 6 Lbs left. It makes a nice change up from the pork and chicken. We bought some steaks from a local guy who has his cows USDA butchered but we are almost out already.