Pastor Dave's Highlights

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yah, you're right. I do fall into that mode sometimes, thinking that my boys will remember doing this or that with me. But, for some reason my mind didn't even go there with this. They do like machines ;)

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, I have been finding new parts for an old Gravely. The guy at TSC said he hadn't heard of Gravely. I said they still make them in a zero turn model. He asked if they were tractors or lawn mowers. I said they are lawn and yard tractors with a front end pto that powers tons of implements. I have seen a 1937 model, but not sure how early they go back. I did get two gallons of all purpose hydraulic fluid and some Briggs and Straton small engine straight 30 weight oil. Today I get my spark plug that shipped from Wisconsin or somewhere, and begin looking for air and oil filters I cross-referenced part numbers for. My plan is mow this season, and tear it down this Fall/Winter to paint it. :fl

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
Drained the Gravely's oil and black as I expected. It only holds 5 pints which is 80 ounces, I reckon. Put in the new oil filter, turned the drain plug back in, and filled er up. Changed out the huge spark plug that goes into top of huge cylinder head. I'm still waiting to pick up the new air filter today.

It has a turn off valve in the gas line positioned above the sediment bowl. It is glass and tiny. I rubbed the dust and grime off it to see what looks like a pretty clean amount if gas in it. Turned on the gas, choked it and it fired up pretty quick. I had to guess on the spark gap, but the new plug was set pretty darn close to the one I removed.

I have a worn out set of tires on it now, but it came with a newer looking pair as well as the spacers to make it a dually. I think I will buy a new pair and put them on the inside, and the other pair I have that look decent on the outside. That way when they need replaced, they will be easier to get to.

I need to replace some hydraulic fluid in the implements and sharpen some blades, but it's coming together.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow!!....I know hearing it fire up had to put a smile on your face. It won't be long before ya will be able to make some "Turns" on it and see how it handles and cuts.....:)

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
View attachment 36518
Turns out it is a 1966 Gravely L series. I think L8. If the ride gets too steep, the sulky can be detached and it can be walked behind. There's 2 cultivators and a plough attachment that if you take the shaft loose to detach the blades, can insert the shaft of the plough. It spins and has 4 shovel type blades that stick out at its corners. So, with 2, can have one set up for cultivator and one to plough. It also came with a snow blade, sickle bar mower, and finishing mower. Best part is the seller came off the price a couple hundred. Mow, I am figuring out how to operate it, and how to maintain it. It runs on 30 weight oil and hydraulic fuel in the implements.
We had one in the late 60s that dad had a really big saw blade mounted where your mower deck is. No guard. It was scary to operate but was a brush cutting demon.
we don't need no stinkin osha

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had one in the late 60s that dad had a really big saw blade mounted where your mower deck is. No guard. It was scary to operate but was a brush cutting demon.
we don't need no stinkin osha

It's amazing with a 6.6hp motor it has power to cut, not to mention allow a rider!
I downloaded a 1950's and 60's owners manual for it that mentioned the circular saw and chainsaw attachments. It said there were 39 implements back in the day that could be powered off the front or pulled. I ended up with 6 for the total price of $1000.

I mowed with it last night on a slope. Scary! The sulky felt unstable and I kept putting a foot down. There's no brake, but a handmade welded on device on the sulky to grab and looks like a one bottom plough. The middle portion simply rubs the tire for friction, and the lower portion looks like a shovel on a plough, and kinda digs in to slow it down.

I took the sulky off and mowed using the 30" round rotary mower. It is a workout. I was on a hill that has some tall growth. The mower kept digging in and I had to manually adjust how the deck moved over the ground as well as push it through the tough patches. I was tired and sweaty afterward.

I haven't gave up on it, but I was in a dream world thinking it would be effortless. I also think I should have taken off the finishing mower and out on the 48" bushhog. I will on the next challenge. This is definitely going to be a learning experience. :thumbsup

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Dave, there were several makers of those type 'tractors' out in the 50s and early 60s, predating that DR machine you see advertised so much.
My sister has been trying to give me one for years--one of those "it was running when we parked it" type things. Has big steel wheels with spikes around the outside. I don't remember the make of it. I believe all she has for it is a bottom plow and a small disc set. It's interesting, but about all it's good for to me is 'yard art' and I don't really need anything else to have to mow or weed eat around.
All those type machine's engines and powertrain had one thing in common...a LOT of torque.
Turning radius on yours looks to be pretty big, but hard to tell by the pictures.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
There isn't too much of the past that didn't have work included in the process, tho it sure beat doing it by hand...and that was what was on the mind of those using those machines. After ya get use to the newer designs it is difficult to accept the limitations that they present.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
These rabbits have cost me quite a bit of change not to mention space & clutter.
First, I decided I needed a 4x4 pickup truck.
Second, I got the Craftsman new ag tires and some extra weight.
Then, I picked up the Gravely to work my hay field.
Today I bought a 5' x 8' utility/landscape trailer that will need to be plated. I can haul the compact tractors on it and haul some hay bales out of the field.
I plan to buy a stationary baler and a compact rake to pull behind the Craftsman. But, those will be another day.

Latest posts