Please Help: Feeding Elderly Alpaca

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Where do you live? Approximately, don't need a street address ;)
I use Poulin, they are a Vermont company but I don't know how far you live from here.

I forgot the :welcome

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Can they eat sheep feed? Wouldn't have as much copper as goat feed. Or an all-stock feed? I really know nothing about alpacas, just throwing out ideas while we wait for the other alpaca people to show up!

DressageQueen

Just born
Reaction score
Thank you! I am in Tucson, Arizona and have no options for alpaca feed other than Mazuri. I've called every feed store and am so frustrated. My poor guy pretty much lives off of his grain and eats very little hay at his age. But he's so happy and otherwise pretty healthy.
Would llama feed be okay? The nearest place that sells it is still over 2 hours round trip but I could probably swing it. Oh the things we do for our animals.

DressageQueen

Just born
Reaction score
Can they eat sheep feed? Wouldn't have as much copper as goat feed. Or an all-stock feed? I really know nothing about alpacas, just throwing out ideas while we wait for the other alpaca people to show up!

Thats what I was wondering, vet said goat feed but I know sheep feed would have less copper.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Llama feed would be fine. Or sheep/all-stock feed if you can't get llama/alpaca specific feed.

Can't you have a feed store order the Mazuri in for you?

DressageQueen

Just born
Reaction score
Llama feed would be fine. Or sheep/all-stock feed if you can't get llama/alpaca specific feed.

Can't you have a feed store order the Mazuri in for you?

I tried and the feed store has been telling me for 3 months their warehouse is out and has made no attempt to do anything about it.

DressageQueen

Just born
Reaction score
I think all stock is going to be our best bet at this point.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
The Poulin is generically llama and alpaca so as @purplequeenvt said, llama feed would be fine. I'd look at the details of the Mazuri and the llama or all stock that you CAN get and see if there is anything you need to add for your old guy. I don't know anything about what a geriatric camelid would need compared to what a younger adult requires for maintenance.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
First, welcome to BYH and I'm sorry the issue with your alpaca has brought you here. Hopefully someone can provide some help. Man... I can't think of anyone who's active aside from those already mentioned or participating... If he's in good physical shape (healthy) then a basic sheep mix (grain/feed) should work fine as sheep also don't need/can't have the quantity of copper that goats need. Have you checked into changing from basic hay over to an alfalfa hay or maybe alfalfa/grass mix? That would provide more protein or maybe add alfalfa pellets (soaked to moisten if too large/hard for him) along with a grain mix? Sorry, wish I could be of more help.

I really hate to sound harsh and I'm sorry, but he's pretty old as alpacas go and he doesn't sound to be in the best of shape... Perhaps it would be best/better for him to let him go? :hugs I hope things work out for you and him.

DressageQueen

Just born
Reaction score
First, welcome to BYH and I'm sorry the issue with your alpaca has brought you here. Hopefully someone can provide some help. Man... I can't think of anyone who's active aside from those already mentioned or participating... If he's in good physical shape (healthy) then a basic sheep mix (grain/feed) should work fine as sheep also don't need/can't have the quantity of copper that goats need. Have you checked into changing from basic hay over to an alfalfa hay or maybe alfalfa/grass mix? That would provide more protein or maybe add alfalfa pellets (soaked to moisten if too large/hard for him) along with a grain mix? Sorry, wish I could be of more help.

I really hate to sound harsh and I'm sorry, but he's pretty old as alpacas go and he doesn't sound to be in the best of shape... Perhaps it would be best/better for him to let him go? :hugs I hope things work out for you and him.

Thank you for your response and concern. His weight isn't horrendous and we work in close collaboration with our vet. He is happy, and other than being blind, very healthy. We have decided based on those things that is not time to put him down yet. If there is any decline we will reevaluate but for now both I and our vet are confident he isn't suffering. Luckily we also live in a place with very mild winters so it isn't too hard on him.

He is kind of a diva and doesn't love his food being wet though I do offer him soaked alfalfa, beet pulp and a calorie supplement in addition to his timothy hay and grain.

I talked to my vet and she said go ahead and try the all-stock so I think that is what we'll do for now, and continue to try and get mazuri alpaca when stock permits.