Pregnant ewe with scouts help!

ashley carro

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Good morning
The evening before yesterday my ram rammed through our gate into our chicken area and our 3 ewes and him got out. They went straight for the chicken coop and gorged them selves on chicken feed.
2 ewes had diarrhea the ewe who is further along probably about 4 months pregnant is very lethargic. Diarrhea looks resolved. Yesterday she was eating and drinking this am she is NOT.
She is just standing still in her barn.... what recommendations does anyone have.
Honestly there’s not many vets around who know too much about sheep. The last vet who came out to help vaccinate when I first got them had no clue what she was talking about.
We are going to get some electrolytes and probiotics but is there anything else we should do. I’d hate to loose my favorite ewe and her baby.
Thank you

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Its probably bloat, my herd just went through this as well. Im not sure how to deal with it when its this intense but she may need some help. @Sheepshape @Baymule

ashley carro

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Found a vet that would see her, had to put her in the cab of the truck to get her there, but they treated her with a Pain med, anti-inflammatory and kaopectate. I gave her a some probiotics in gel form. Now it’s watchful waiting I am hoping she eats and starts drinking.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You could use a syringe to get some water in her. I haven't had to deal with bloat or the sheep gorging on chicken feed. I take that back, I have had the sheep break into the coop and eat the feed. But it didn't slow them down one bit and none got sick. I hope your ewe gets better and is ok.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
It sounds as though she has bloat.Hopefully the trip to the vet has resolved her problems.

I'd definitely do as Baymule says, syringe in water (with some dissolved baking soda). Push the syringe over the back of the tongue and squirt slowly....the sheep will swallow.

Offer her only hay or silage for the next day or so, and repeat the syringing every couple of hours is she's not drinking (give her water in a bucket so you can see if she drinks when you are not around).

I had a similar thing happen a couple of weeks ago....it usually resolves in a day or two. Good Luck.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
:hit:hit:hit:hit You said she was your favorite. :hit:hit:hit

I am so sorry. :hugs I lost my sweet, favorite ewe to a ruptured pre pubic tendon. She had to be put down. We both sat in the trailer at the vet's office, bawling like babies. I know the pain I felt and it hurt.

I am sorry that you lost your sweet pet. I wish I could say or do something to take the pain away.

I will say this, I'll take the pain of loss so I can have the joy of daily interaction with my sheep. I'll take the pain of loss so I can hug new lambs, so I can listen to their baa-baas, so I can feel the tickle of their greedy lips hoovering up treats from the palm of my hand. I love my sheep and I know you love yours too. I hope it's not too long before you can find the joy in them again.