rachels.haven's Journal

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Even the low end ones would still be a small car, so we figured we should get the one that will last the longest and keep the bills low, which was what we wanted before he showed up anyway.
Good plan. You don't want to have to replace it again anytime soon and the price of electricity will only go up over time making the cheaper one cost more.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
We're still using gas unfortunately, but the alternatives aren't great. Anyway...

On Saturday we changed the gates to three black Tater wired filled in gates to keep baby Shaun, poodles, and baby goats where they are supposed to be. Shaun likes to slip out the door, run to the red cattle gates, slip right through, and book it either for the electric pig fence, the big tall water trough, or to go pet every single goat (Summer is crotchety with kids and treats them like goat kids) and my nerves have had it. I'll list the old ones cheap in the next few weeks and see if anyone would like to use them.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't list them too cheap. The new cheap gates at TSC are over $150 now. Sure wish I was close, I'd come buy them as we can ALWAYS use gates. We buy the heavy duty galvanized BULL gates.... usually 7 bar and they ran in the $200 and up range... can't imagine that they are under $250 now.... Get back some of what you have put into the new ones....

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't list them too cheap. The new cheap gates at TSC are over $150 now. Sure wish I was close, I'd come buy them as we can ALWAYS use gates. We buy the heavy duty galvanized BULL gates.... usually 7 bar and they ran in the $200 and up range... can't imagine that they are under $250 now.... Get back some of what you have put into the new ones....
Jan, I'd give them to you if you were close enough. They will cost us money to get rid of if they don't sell regardless of whether or not they have years left in them-not lots of money, but enough money and hassle I'd just be glad to see them used and not ours. But you're not close and gas is HIGH so even a free gate would not be a cheap gate.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Btw, if anyone is redoing pasture in my area anytime soon I highly HIGHLY recommend Red River Crabgrass ( with something interspersed that grows well in the early and late season because of the nature of the beast). It's basically giant, lush, thick, tall crabgrass and the goats go CRAZY for it-it's supposedly very high protein too. They've grazed it down to 4" up by the barn but in the back it's about 3 feet tall and growing like crazy on basically dew. We've had maybe 3 storms since it was broadcast spread. Other than the black and silver nightshade that was already there coming up here and there the pasture is fantastic. The goats are going to be unhappy when I take them off in the late summer/early fall for the crabgrass to reseed. I got pics this morning on my phone. Too bad I can't get it as goat worthy hay.

Last edited:

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
PXL_20220614_131400316.jpg

PXL_20220614_131434022.MP.jpg

PXL_20220614_180924626.MP.jpg

PXL_20220614_181036256.jpg