Rolling Acres - This and That

JHP Homestead

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The butcher gave us the hanger steak from the younger one and we grilled that up the next day. It was very good! Can't wait for the rest to come back.
Hanger steak is the best! I had never heard of it until DH and I cut up our first steer and wondered what this weird, steak-looking chunk of meat was.

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
This week DS has been attending summer camp for Young Aviators. Today they will be visiting the Air Force base and tomorrow (highlight for his week) he gets to fly! He's so excited! The weather will be nice, sunny for tomorrow so a good day for flying. I think it's money well spent for this summer camp! :yesss:

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
What is hanger steak?
When the butcher gave us the hanger steak, I had to ask Mr Google what cut that was. Here's what I found out:

From Wikipedia: Anatomically speaking, the hanger steak is the crura, or legs, of the diaphragm. The steak is said to "hang" from the diaphragm of the heifer or steer.[2] The diaphragm is one muscle, commonly cut into two separate cuts of meat: the hanger steak, traditionally considered more flavorful, and the outer skirt steak, composed of tougher muscle from the dome of the diaphragm. The hanger is attached to the last rib and to the front of several of the lumbar vertebrae. The right side is larger and stronger than the left.

From another site:
hanger steak.jpg