Teresa & Mike CHS - Our journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Prices are still stupid here too. I’m just real happy that I got this place when I did. Land may come down a little but I don’t expect it to ever return to what it was. Texas economy never crashes. It may take a hit occasionally but it never takes a dive. I expect prices to remain high. And how will young people afford a home? Why, with inflation dollars! Inflation dollars are worth less, so you get paid more, right? It’s insane.

I hope to get my sheep equipment set up next week and start working my sheep, like you, a few at a time. It’s been a crazy year and I have neglected fecals, trimming feet and have a lot to catch up on.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We brought the flock in again this morning and we now have most of the work with them caught up. We spent more time cutting hair on 4 of the ewes that didn't shed right this year. We have stopped doing routine hoof maintenance and only work those that have obvious over-growth issues and we have two of those to do before moving them back out.

We went out yesterday in the paddock where Oshi is to rig up some poly rope on step-in posts and connected to the upper hot and ground wires. Evidently he didn't like the way one of the gates was hanging and made a pretty good effort of making it more to his liking but the hot wire seems to have stopped a repeat performance.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
He keeps it interesting and I'm learning a whole lot of new things that I had previously thought I had figured out. :)

He is actually coming around pretty well but I had never been exposed to that kind of power in a ram since the tame rams made me complacent. The gate that he rearranged was a 10' gate on a 9 1/2' opening so it only opened one way. He bent it in enough that it now opens either way. I'm really surprised that the light gate chain held.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Other breeds are even more aggressive and are capable of doing a lot of damage. You would expect that from a 2,200 pound bull, but we don’t expect that kind of raw power from a ram weighing 300 pounds.

Cooper killed a water bucket, his new one is tied to the fence.

Ringo spoiled us both.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Try having 200+ lb rams, that have horns like a bighorn sheep.... sometimes it is interesting. I have only had one that half hit me and he was really trying to get into the bucket and was only 2-3 feet back as he "rammed" his way through a couple of ewes.... Luckily, ours are much more likely to be standoffish than to be challenging. It is all my 220 lb, 6'6" son can do to hold them when we trim feet and do horn measurements. They seldom do any ramming of innate objects though... they will do the whole "ram thing" with other males in the fall breeding season, but they don't bother buckets or fences or gates or anything. If they did, they would be running the neighborhoods.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
He is actually coming around pretty well but I had never been exposed to that kind of power in a ram since the tame rams made me complacent. The gate that he rearranged was a 10' gate on a 9 1/2' opening so it only opened one way. He bent it in enough that it now opens either way. I'm really surprised that the light gate chain held.
Rams are very powerful and can be dangerous. Our rams are pretty docile but I never trust them. DH and DS1 are not worried abut going nt their pen but when I go in a pen with a ram I always keep facing him. It sometimes making walking difficult, particularly on uneven ground! :gig Junior is now 7 months old and has integrated into the ram pen where we pen all our rams together when they are not in the breeding pen. I am glad they don't fight seriously. Junior is very polite to hs elders! LOL

We had 2 market sires penned in adjacent horse corrals years ago. The corrals had those large heavy duty metal bars. The older one decided to fight with the younger one through the bars. We now have a corral panel that has several severely bent bars. We refer to it as the ram panel. :lol: It helps us remember how powerful rams are.