1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. BYH Featured Thread: I'm woolin' it!
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. 2017 BYC Calendar SUPER SALE!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

The Education of Ben

Discussion in 'Livestock Guardians' started by Beekissed, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Jun 15, 2017
    mysunwolf

mysunwolf True BYH Addict

Oh boy, my border collie does this too! We joke that she is telling the big, loud dog in the sky that she is big and scary too. :D She gets really worked up about it, even with our calming training. If she ever gets unreasonable about it, I'll be sure to try this "thunder shirt," I've never seen one in action before.

babsbag likes this.
  2. Jun 17, 2017 at 6:22 AM
    Beekissed

Beekissed True BYH Addict

I'll post a pic of it soon! It's supposed to snug them up like a swaddled baby and give them a feeling of comfort while they go through the anxiety inducing moment like loud noises, riding in cars, etc. The reviews on them were impressive enough for me to consider it as an option for him, as he seems to be getting worse with his anxiety levels when there is thunder or gun shots(there will always be these triggers here, so he is going to have to learn to calm down on those or he won't be good for anything but holding down a couch for someone~not me, of course).

3. Jun 21, 2017 at 9:30 PM
    goatgurl

goatgurl True BYH Addict

dstr#4 has a great dane that is afraid of thunder and I had suggested she try a thunder shirt for him. i'll have to tell her how well it worked for ben. still waiting for pictures... hint hint

Beekissed and mysunwolf like this.
  4. Jun 22, 2017 at 10:19 AM
    Beekissed

Beekissed True BYH Addict

I've got a couple of pics of that first storm day but they aren't very good....was kind of waiting to get some better ones, but here they are.

This thing barely fits him across the chest and it's not quite long enough through the torso, so the XL is not really XL in my book. For a Great Dane, that doesn't have all that fur, it just might fit but they have that deep, deep chest, so she might want to look for an XXL to get a good fit.

101_0770.JPG 101_0769.JPG

mysunwolf and Baymule like this.
  5. Jun 22, 2017 at 8:11 PM
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

A thunder shirt. Who woulda thunk it? It's giving Ben a hug.

6. Jun 22, 2017 at 10:11 PM
    goatgurl

goatgurl True BYH Addict

I sure hope he gets over his anxiety 'cause he's such a good boy and is becoming a great dog.