Tribute to Latestarter

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
The soap is really easy. If you already make soap just use your normal recipe and substitute about 1/4 of your liquid with coffee and to a 4 pound batch of soap I add 2-3 T of fresh coffee grounds. I am a real basic soap maker, I use Olive oil, coconut oil, and palm oil, nothing fancy.

There is another product on the market that removes buck cologne from hands and it is called Good Clean Mud. I have made my version of that too.

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have yet to make soap. So I don’t know about using hog lard. However, I am planning to make goat milk soap when I get around to it.

There is a lady, at farmer’s market who sells goat milk soap (which is why I haven’t bothered until now), and she said she uses olive oil, coconut oil and goat milk, for the base. I was planning to do the same.

My plan is to not make soap bars, but rather liquid soap. However, I could also make the coffee soap and I don’t think I would be really competing with her market share - which I don’t want to do.

Last edited:

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, we went to auction with all of Joe’s goats last night.

The auction was supposed to start at 7:00 PM, so we got there at a little after 6:00, so I could answer anyone’s questions about the goats. As I walked toward the goats I saw a lady standing by one of the pens, which I realized had Dot in it. Then, I realized there were two beautiful little boy kids in there with her. One was chocolate, with white markings and one was black with white markings.

The lady standing there introduced herself as Deb, “The Crazy Goat Lady”. She said that when she got there around 4:00 the kids had already been born.

Dot was cleaning them up, but both kids were just standing there. So, I went into the pen and tried to get them to drink some colostrum. Her teats were dirty, so I had DH get some water, to clean them with. When he brought a small bucket with about a gallon of water, Dot drank it dry, so he got more. Once I cleaned her up, I started trying to get the little ones to drink, to no avail.

A man, who came to buy one of our goats was standing there, so I asked for his help. I pried the smallest (black) one’s mouth open and he squirted colostrum. We at least got a little in him. No success with the chocolate one either, but he seemed to be rooting for milk, so I didn’t worry about him so much.

Dot is such a good mother! As she cleaned her babies, she started pushing them toward the back milk fountain, so I stopped worrying so much.

The one thing that worried me was that I didn’t have any betadine, to dip their umbilical cords. So I decided I would make sure the buyer knew they still needed to be dipped.

I was told the goats would be auctioned at 7:00. Well, that couldn’t have been further from the truth! They started off auctioning fertile chicken eggs. Most went for about $2.00 per dozen. Then it was on to farm tools, tires, farm art, children’s toys, kitchen knives, etc. Then, live chickens, LOTS of chickens!!! Then rabbits and ducks. Then, finally around 8:15 the first farm animal came through - a bred alpaca. Then lots of black steer and cows. LOTS of them!!! Then pigs - starting small and getting bigger. Although, I don’t think the biggest one came close to @Baymule’s Wilber. It was maybe a 500 pound sow.

Then, finally the first goat came through around 9:00. FINALLY!!! I thought they were NEVER going to get to the goats!! It was one of ours. One by one, they filed through, some got more than others, but I lost count and $$ amounts. The auctioneer went up then down with the price, as people did or did not bid.

I finally got the check at 10:15 and in the end, we got more than I had hoped for, after they took their commission out. I texted Joey and he was happy with the outcome. We actually got more than I had offered on CraigsList after a 25% discount for taking the whole herd.

DH and I were totally exhausted. I had worn my waking boot, as I knew the ground was uneven, and would be hard to navigate as I continue to heal from my foot surgery. By the end of the night, my foot was all swollen.

I was able to chat with the lady who bought Dot, and was assured that she would betadine the kid’s umbilicle cords and she would make sure they got their colostrum. I think she said she was planning to bottle feedd them anyway. I am confident that Dot and her little boys went to a great home. :D

Last edited:

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
So happy it went better than expected as far as the money part and that joey and Brandy can get somerhing to help them with expences.
But you , our dear friend need to rest now and take care of yourself....we can't afford you to be sick or hurting that foot again...thank you and your husband for going above and beyond to help Latestarter get some peace knowing all his animals now have homes...i do believe he is smiling down on the kids and you and DH thinking ...good job :love

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am so glad that it went well. We sure wanted to come, but with a 2 year old and 4 year old, it would have been a miserable experience! They were knocked out at 8:30, snug in their beds. LOL How awesome that Dot and her brand new babies went to a good home. I know it was tugging your heart strings to see them sold, DV you did your best and went over and beyond, you are a TRUE friend. Big hugs. Keep that foot up today!

Latest posts