Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about Jasmine. Hope nothing permanent or deadly (internal). Even standard sized goat kids can go right through cattle panels. My CC would go through the ones around their pen and sleep under the tarp that covered the hay. Wasn't till she was 2-3 months old that she no longer fit.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Update on Jasmine: DH sent me a video of her this morning bouncing around their kiddo but stall. He also sent me this pic. I think she will be just fine!!!:love:celebrate
5D45E3DF-2FA3-4869-9012-E7D3882B158B.jpeg

I don’t think I explained the pen dilemma very well. Our barn was set up for some basic cattle stuff and some of the sections had been used as horse stalls. All of the pens are separated from the aisle by metal livestock gates on hinges. (We used goat panels when we had baby Boers to make kidding stalls in a storage area of the barn.)
Anyway, we knew that the Nigerians were smaller and lined the livestock panel gates with goat panels and pig panels to insure their safety. (Goats don’t currently go out during winter here because it would require tromping through knee deep to them mud where the Cattle always walk. Part of the plan is to remedy this so that the goats can go out year-Round without issue.) When Jasmine arrived she was tiny! We knew she would be able to get out of the goat panels for some time so DH has changed them all to pieces of pig panel that were attached to the livestock gates. Basically, that made for two sets of bars to keep them in. She still got out!! We have no idea how as we somehow missed the actual escape and weren’t about to let her try again. DH is going to line the inside of the whole pen with sections of plywood to keep her safe.

To the left side of this pic, you can see the livestock gate that was lined with goat panel. The calf is Maizy’s and Queenie can be seen on the side of the gate.
4D5AC4DE-A7F5-46DC-97CF-342DA5A31AF6.jpeg

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
I realized that I haven’t updated this thread in awhile. Jasmine is continuing to thrive with no signs of complications from her cow incident. She has also caught up enough to the boys that she doesn’t look like a miniature! Lol

We’d tried an initial disbudding but weren’t successful as we didn’t burn quite enough. The breeder we bought the new buck from was willing to teach us so the triplets got disbudded properly last night. It was wonderful to be shown and I even did one with guidance so I’d be more comfortable doing ours in the future. They all tolerated t well and seem to be themselves today.

Jasmine, Jackson, and Jericho are always on the go, making it hard to get pics of them. They are also out with the big goats now. A few modifications to their pen and their growth made for a successful transition. We’ve decided to retain Jackson and will be preparing to advertise Jericho. (Their sire’s full sister is on 660+ days of lactation from her first freshening! I’m excited about developing some with extended lactations to limit having to breed constantly to have milk for DD2.) The breeder we picked Knight up from was extremely complimentary of Diamond’s udder. I need to get it clipped up and get good pics to market with.

Triplets eating feed with Mom. We’ve upped her feed some and she looked better after she ate and drank again. Feeding those big boys is hard work!
910607FF-2324-4C29-9C90-9E71EFC20682.jpeg

Snowflake is up next. Her breeder and I think she’s due more the end of March from a separate exposure instead of mid April. I felt movement again today. Ligs are loosening but still easily found and don’t seem to have changed over the last week. Here’s an updated udder pic.
5788CD8B-3881-4DDE-BAE0-51553816933B.jpeg

I also felt movement of Nellie’s kid(s)! No updated pics but she’s on track to kid early April.

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They have grown so much. Mine are three days old. Their mama worries cause they want to sleep most of the time. When yours were born, how big were they compared to a milk jug? Mine are so tiny. I want to weigh them. I think I might use a small plastic bag because I have a hand held fish scale.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
They have grown so much. Mine are three days old. Their mama worries cause they want to sleep most of the time. When yours were born, how big were they compared to a milk jug? Mine are so tiny. I want to weigh them. I think I might use a small plastic bag because I have a hand held fish scale.

They weighed 2.6, 4.1, and 5.0 # at birth. The female was smaller than a cat.

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
At 4 days old my doe weighs 3.4 lbs and the buck weighs 3.11 lbs and they feel much heavier than they did at birth. But they are growing.