Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Update: Diamond has about 10 days to go. Y'all know doe code and she could go sooner or later. We are just praying that this kidding goes on without a hitch! I snapped some pics of the girls avoiding the rain in the barn this morning. I have to apologize that the udder shot of Diamond isn't the best...she wanted attention and followed me the whole time!
IMG_9783.JPG
IMG_9788.JPG

Nellie and Snowflake both have until the beginning of April. If I hadn't verified that Nellie hasn't been in heat, I'd doubt her being bred. She's quite obvious with her wanton behavior!
IMG_9786.JPG

IMG_9784.JPG

Caramel hasn't made an appearance on this thread yet as I don't plan to breed her until fall and she's currently being milked but she is a full sister to Snowflake, just from a prior kidding.
IMG_9789.JPG

Finally, the only other goat on the property right now is King! He is the buck that Nellie is bred to. The plan is to keep a Doeling from this breeding and freshen her to the buck that I just need to pick up. If she is an improvement over her dam, I'll continue to use him. If not, he will need a Plan B. King obviously loves his Mama! He starts "talking" to me the second I walk in the barn. I might keep him around just because I can!!!
IMG_9794.JPG

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Diamond's belly is hanging LOW! I'm wondering if she's started to drop. Her udder is 'full' yet but her hips appear more sunken then yesterday and her ligaments are softer. I've checked her like a crazy person today and we have a baby monitor in place so I can hear her in the house. She also doesn't normally shy away from me at all and she's been a bit of a "touch-me-not"
today....DH just took out some warm, soaked beet pulp as a treat. It's cold and I want to make sure she's got plenty of strength! Today is Day 136...her breeder has been in contact and suspects quads. :fl for Doelings so I can keep them all to grow my herd!
IMG_9922.JPG

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think she's feeling very full! Her kidding stall is ready. We've been feeding her in it each night just so that it's not completely new to her when I decided it's time to start keeping her in it. It's actually just a makeshift stall within the pen in the barn for the Does since we only have four right now. We've been looking at designs and know what we want to do for a more permanent set-up. DH is hoping the weather breaks before she kids so that it's one less thing to worry about.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm going to have to invest in gear to keep me warm while I babysit Diamond!

Buy a camera instead! Really.. They are so much less now than when I bought mine 30 yrs ago! Plus wireless now. LOL

When I was breeding minis, it was hectic. The cams were all that saved me and sometimes foals. Of course, you have to watch but -- waaay back then, I had a little device that hooked to the mares halter & paged me when she l{id out flat (most do when foaling)...I'd see the cam know if she was just sleeping or in labor. LOL Rush to barn if latter.

Goats don't lay out but, you can look at cam & see if she's showing signs & decide to go to bed or not.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
We plan to do a camera system when we get our true kidding system set up. We've actually considered several different video options and may even link in our phones. Until then, the baby monitor has saved me a few trips to the barn.

Diamond will be a 2F. She had no issues last kidding for her breeder. I'm more just nervous because of Sephie's fiasco in the fall. (Story is in our journal.)

Edited to add: I own Carrhart coats and bibs, muck boots, thermal socks, insulated gloves, etc. I just don't look forward to remaining warm while I sit with her if she kids in single digits! ;)

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Day 138 for Diamond. Pics from this morning. Right lig is deep but still there. Left lig more present than right but still soft. She dropped overnight for sure. Udder could fill out more...couldn't get a pic. Her tail is also staying down due to the cold so I have to move it to look. She's had mucous consistent with her plug. It's 5 deg here but feels like -6 with the windchill! Praying she keeps them in until the end of the week when it's supposed to be in the 40s again...
IMG_9994.JPG
IMG_9995.JPG

(I feed her in the kidding pen but haven't been latching it because I let her out as soon as she's done.) She hasn't finished her ration the last two nights and we've let her finish it in the morning. We open her gate and she waddles right in. She's still eating hay and drinking (both observed.)

Latest posts