Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
This recipe is a family favorite and has required some fine-tuning but it’s there now and I can share it. The kids say these are better than cookies and will eat them without syrup, leftover out of the fridge, cold.

Buttermilk Wheat Pancakes

Make buttermilk first. 1 T apple cider vinegar, add goat milk to make 1 cup total liquid. Gently combine.

1 c whole wheat flour
1 t baking powder
1/4 t baking soda
1 beaten egg
1 T, heaping, honey

I then add the buttermilk. Stir with a fork. Cook on a hot griddle using nonstick spray, grease, etc.

Makes approximately 8, 5-6” pancakes. I double for our family. They keep well in the refrigerator and frozen also.

949FF379-DA40-4B32-8337-F8FB71D657DD.jpeg

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wehner the honey you use is that local sourced honey? Anything commercial even if it says pure honey or whatever generally is cut with corn syrup from asian countries or other types of sugar so it's not real honey. Bought the only way to get real honey commercially is to buy honey comb.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Haven’t posted a recipe in awhile. I made homemade lasagna last night (as requested by my niece and nephew) and since it’s another family favorite, I thought I’d share it.

Lasagna

12 lasagna noodles (whole box- I use wheat)
1# hamburger or sausage
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1 6 oz can tomato paste
1 32 oz jar pasta sauce (I use Kroger brand)
1 cup cottage cheese (or ricotta)
1/2 cup parm cheese
1 egg, beaten
1# shredded mozzarella

I start browning my meat with the garlic powder, oregano, and parsley while I start a pot of water boiling to boil the noodles. I’m big on multitasking so while those things are on the stove, I spray a 9x13 with nonstick spray and make the cheese mixture- beaten egg, Parmesan cheese, and cottage cheese. Also preheat the oven to 375. Once my meat is cooked thoroughly, I add the tomato paste and combine it some before adding the whole jar of pasta sauce. Drain noodles when cooked. (I spray them with cold water then drizzle with a bit of veg or olive oil to make them cool enough to handle and keep them from sticking together.)

Layer noodles (3), 1/3 of meat sauce, 1/3 of cheese mixture, and a small handful of mozzarella to make three layers. Top with a layer of three noodles and remainder of mozzarella cheese. Bake for 35-45 minutes until desired browning of top layer of cheese has occurred and filling is bubbling.

Per my usual, this recipe freezes well. I usually freeze it raw. I make up to 6 batches at a time as they are something that I like to share and others like to receive. These definitely take a lot longer to cook from frozen but I like to get them out to thaw in the fridge two days before with great results. Leftovers are consumed just as readily as fresh (if there is any left!)

Note: I like to freeze in aluminum pans so that people don’t have to get my dish back to me, it makes less dishes for me, and my glass dishes aren’t all stuck in the freezer.

F412851D-B6BC-4D70-A121-1A2DD6F28882.jpeg