Tamara

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I’ve been battling the excess mud for years. I finally found a solution using mudstopper but they are discontinuing it!

Looking for cheap, quick solutions. Single mom sheep herder.

Donna R. Raybon

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We used the coarse wood chips that tree trimmers make out of branches. Our county and electric co-op both do regular cutting and we let them know where it was ok to dump on property. We use them while green and you will have to add more every year or two. There was one huge mud hole that even challenged tractor to get through. Tried many, many loads of rock to no avail! Spread several front end loader buckets and could drive over with car, no problem! I had literally lost boot in that bog!! Where we came in and out of field to feed round bales was another bottomless mud pit that we dried up with chips!

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
As many different avenues for access as possible keeps mudholes to a minimum. Don't, drive in the same tracks all the time. Additional gates and posts are cheap enough.

Kathy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I read somewhere here about using something called lime shale?? to mitigate the horrible mud we have...anyone know anything about this product? My goats and dog are sick of the mud

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We used the coarse wood chips that tree trimmers make out of branches. Our county and electric co-op both do regular cutting and we let them know where it was ok to dump on property. We use them while green and you will have to add more every year or two. There was one huge mud hole that even challenged tractor to get through. Tried many, many loads of rock to no avail! Spread several front end loader buckets and could drive over with car, no problem! I had literally lost boot in that bog!! Where we came in and out of field to feed round bales was another bottomless mud pit that we dried up with chips!

You don't have problems with any of the chips causing splinters or anything?I had a similar problem last year as the OP and I placed crushed rock down. Worked well in that area but I'm finding other areas that need help and I can get wood chips for free.

Latest posts