1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. A Thief has been caught!!! - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

What to do about muddy areas!

Discussion in 'Pasture, Hay, & Forages: Information & Management' started by Tamara, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Sep 11, 2018
    Tamara

Tamara Chillin' with the herd

I’ve been battling the excess mud for years. I finally found a solution using mudstopper but they are discontinuing it!

Looking for cheap, quick solutions. Single mom sheep herder.

Senile_Texas_Aggie likes this.
  2. Sep 11, 2018
    Donna R. Raybon

Donna R. Raybon Loving the herd life

We used the coarse wood chips that tree trimmers make out of branches. Our county and electric co-op both do regular cutting and we let them know where it was ok to dump on property. We use them while green and you will have to add more every year or two. There was one huge mud hole that even challenged tractor to get through. Tried many, many loads of rock to no avail! Spread several front end loader buckets and could drive over with car, no problem! I had literally lost boot in that bog!! Where we came in and out of field to feed round bales was another bottomless mud pit that we dried up with chips!

mystang89 and Senile_Texas_Aggie like this.
  3. Sep 11, 2018
    greybeard

greybeard Herd Master

As many different avenues for access as possible keeps mudholes to a minimum. Don't, drive in the same tracks all the time. Additional gates and posts are cheap enough.

4. Dec 28, 2018
    Kathy

Kathy Chillin' with the herd

I read somewhere here about using something called lime shale?? to mitigate the horrible mud we have...anyone know anything about this product? My goats and dog are sick of the mud

5. Jan 7, 2019
    mystang89

mystang89 True BYH Addict

You don't have problems with any of the chips causing splinters or anything?I had a similar problem last year as the OP and I placed crushed rock down. Worked well in that area but I'm finding other areas that need help and I can get wood chips for free.