What to Expect When Your Goat's Expecting?

Thatdaywewokeupasfarmers

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm sure all of my questions could be answered by surfing through the other threads on this site more deeply, but I'm pretty new around here and still feeling my way around.

Anyway, my Rosie-girl (two year old Alpine) is pregnant! Her due date is April 17th, and as the time is getting closer, I'm realizing just how much I don't know. I have three main concerns:

1.) When I got Rosie, she was in milk, but in the process of being dried off. That wouldn't be weird, except that she never kidded last year. Why in the world would she have been lactating if she didn't have a kid? Could she have miscarried, and still lactated? (The previous owner had no explanation for it at all.) I'm quite sure that she's pregnant now, if she did have a miscarriage in the past (which seems in my limited experience to be the most likely explanation), should I be concerned that this could happen again this year? So far, all seems well.

2.) I don't have an actual barn. My goat shed is a three sided building that keeps wind and rain off, but that's about it. It's more than enough for adult goats, but will it be enough for a new-born baby? The weather in Ohio is known for being incredibly unpredictable. It should be warm in mid-April, but there's no way to know for sure. Should I try to find a small dog house or something similar to put out there? Or maybe have a coat or onsie prepared? Here's a picture of the barn.
14138666_564652380388438_2988149533857211436_o.jpg

3.) Because I'm a first timer here, I don't even know for sure what to do with the kid once it gets here! (Besides the obvious smothering it with love and kisses) I got into goats for dairy, and so I definitely want the milk. Is hand-raising the route I want to take, then? Obviously the baby will need colostrum for its initial feeding (and possibly for the few after that? I'm not sure how long that lasts?) But after that will I need to begin on a milk replacer? Or will she produce enough that if I milk first for the kid(s), will she have enough remaining for the family? I've already purchased small red lamb nipples, but I've been holding off on purchasing any milk replacer because I want to make sure my kid is getting the best.

I've read lots of books, but I'm still not feeling super confident. I'd love to get some feedback on what to expect from people who know what they are doing. :fl

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
When it comes to goat 'everything we know is wrong'. They like to keep us guessing.

I have two does that I don't breed that come into milk every year on their own. One miscarried 4 years ago and never got bred again, the other one I just don't breed, but they give me milk. I also have about 35 does that I do breed and milk.

Your shed will be fine for kidding, but having a goat coat on hand might not be a bad idea just in case. Also, a lot of straw for bedding.

As far as the amount of milk, it depends on the goat and how many kids. I would let her feed her kids for the first week and then you can separate them over night and milk her in the morning and then let them spend the day together. She should have enough for her kids while doing this. If you want to bottle raise just use cow's milk, better than replacer. They will need colostrum for the first 24-36 hours.

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Your goat shed should be fine for kidding, and I would have a coat or two on hand just in case. Do you have a kidding kit put together?

I also leave my goat kids on their mamas for about two weeks, and after that, if I want to milk them, I separate the kid(s) overnight and milk in the morning, then let them be together all day. It works well for us.

Jenn27

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I agree with the others, but I will say this....I noticed you have large-gapped field fence? Let me tell you what happened to me when we first got goats....

We had the same kind of fencing, and got our female first. She did great in there...even though she was quite young/small. But, after we got our buck (he was even smaller than her), they started escaping! We got up the first morning after getting the buck, and found them both grazing in the neighbor's yard. :barnie Soooo....we chased them around for a full hour before I just barely hooked a finger into my doe's collar! We later figured out that our young goats could literally walk RIGHT THROUGH the squares of the fence, and had done so the night before as well, and visited some other neighbors before sneaking back in before daybreak!! :he So we spent the entire day...in the rain, mind you, lining said fence with chicken wire to keep the buggers in. It worked...but lesson learned. :th :lol:

*Just something to consider.

BTW...congrats on the pending birth! We are expecting my first doe's second kidding any day now!! (We now have another doe, but she is still too young to breed right now.)

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You don't have to buy the milk replacer or cows milk. She should produce enough to feed the kid/kids. I bottle feed mine but it's not necessary. However, if you really want the milk from your girl and you let the dam raise the kids, you will need to have a separate place to wean the kids. I had a problem one time with a dam raised doe who, after 2 months separate, still went straight back to nursing after being put back in the pasture with her dam. :thThe bottle fed ones don't have that problem!

Also, if you decide to bottle feed, the weather outside wont matter as much since you can just keep the kids inside with you!:clap:thumbsup If you feed the kids their dam's milk, you will only have to wait a few more months before being able to drink the milk yourself. Cheaper than buying and the best way we found to avoid problems with the kids. Options...

Thatdaywewokeupasfarmers

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you, everyone. I started working on a kit last week. I still have a couple more things I'd like to put in it, but I've got a good start. My parents have been pretty firm about not wanting a goat-- baby or otherwise-- in the house. Maybe I can talk them into the basement... lol
Just about a month left! I can't wait. :love