Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is the season for baby goats, and unfortunately barn fires as well. :hit

2 barn fires in less then 10 days....
60 goats dead, not sure if this was from a heatlamp or not...
http://fox59.com/2016/01/19/dozens-of-goats-dead-after-fire-at-pittsboro-barn/

These folks lost their milk barn, baby goats, dog, and more in the fire.
https://www.gofundme.com/2qkqj5s4

Please be safe all! be smart with what you are doing and try not to use heatlamps in the barn. Heat lamps KILL. To those that have to much trust and don't think it could ever happen to you, think again.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Barn fires scare me. I can't imagine the heartbreak those people are going through. The other thing that scares me are roof collapses, with big snow loads like the east coast just got. I have a long pole I can scrape some snow off the house, but nothing long enough to reach the barn roof.

@Goat Whisperer - thanks for the safety reminder!

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hate to see things like that
Some folks who got a buckling from me in 2014 lost him and another buck Iin a fire
The worse part was the effect on their 6 year old son
I was happy to give their son another buckling this year but the damage can't be repaired

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sad to hear of it. The heat lamps can be dangerous. Make sure you are aware of the position if you have one with your animals. Not sure what other think but I have mine hanging to keep the show birds well.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
This makes me so nervous because heat lamps are the only things keeping our chickens alive this time of year :\ We have already lost 5 to the cold. :(

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
This makes me so nervous because heat lamps are the only things keeping our chickens alive this time of year :\ We have already lost 5 to the cold. :(
Agreed, sorry for your losses. Heat lamps are all that I can use for my little ones.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I understand the use of having heat lamps. We still have to use them occasionally :( The nice thing with bottle feeding goat kids is that they fit in a pack n play nicely!

We will be ordering these. It doesn't eliminate the threat of having a fire, but it is still safer then the traditional lamps.
For more info, click this LINK

5057.jpg

When we start the poultry breeding will be looking in the Sweeter Heater. sweeterheater.com

The Binsea EcoGlow would be good for people who only hatch a small number of birds a year (they come in different sizes)
375_1_.jpg

Info HERE

I would like to get a Sweeter Heater, this would be better for those that have a larger number of animals to brood.
7830-2599.jpg

7830-9572.jpg

Info HERE
This also comes in different sizes.

Latest posts