Carla D-Great new adventures and an Amazing Life

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The only reason I put out the cracked corn was because I had two vets telling me I should do that. Until they had their horns surgically removed earlier this week I’d never given them any actual grain. I’ve read in here that many people don’t give their goats grain at all. Plus I’ve also read that most goats are perfectly ok/happy if they don’t have grain at all. I was thinking that two different vets recommended I do that, I should give it a try. I do know that it is really hard to find a goat knowledgeable vet as well. The Calf Manna was what my new vet had suggested. That’s why I’ve been feeding that. Only because I figured they probably knew a little bit more than I do. I have been questioning whether I’ve been feeding them well, just as much as I’ve been questioning my poor level of knowledge about goats. I would really appreciate some knowledgeable advice from people in here. As well as their reason or logic for their recommendation. Not because I question anyone in here. I just really want to know the whys I should do things a certain way so I can start making some educated decisions of my own. Thank you. The picture of what I give my goats has been up until the last few days. It is for all of them as a group, not individually.

Attachments

• 866660B8-3A8F-42B6-B97C-759FB652596D.jpeg
    866660B8-3A8F-42B6-B97C-759FB652596D.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 74

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
As well as their reason or logic for their recommendation. Not because I question anyone in here. I just really want to know the whys I should do things a certain way so I can start making some educated decisions of my ow
This. I suspect you have a natural curiosity about a lot or most things in life..This, is a good trait to have. Many have it, some do not.

I often see people make statements or give instructions regarding agriculture and livestock but leave out the why and how-it-works part in all manner of subjects.

It should never be enough just to know 'something' works. We must all strive to understand how it works and why it works as it does, in all things.........otherwise, it's just 'experience' and not knowledge. The 2 are not the same thing.

Not to stray too far off subject, but if BYH is ever to be regarded by the greater ag internet community as THE Preeminent knowledge resource for herdsmen, it is incumbent upon each of us to make sure everything we post is accurate, truthful, hopefully repeatable, and as verifiable as possible, but keeping in mind not everything that works in one situation or location is applicable to another.
Each of us can say 'anything' but those statements don't necessarily make them true or accurate and I tend not to accept things that are just 'thrown out there'.

There is a centuries old philosophy (Hitchens's razor) that says:
'That which is/can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence'.
I tend to follow it if no explanation or good resource is given.

Farming, regardless of size and scope, is a life long learning experience and the easiest and cheapest way to learn is thru the experiences of others instead of making the same costly mistakes ourselves.
I'm pretty old now, and still very much learning, but I will not just accept someone's word for something. There has to be some back up for it, and I try very hard to make lengthy explanations of why and how things work when I tender advice.

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Southern by Choice is giving you excellent advice, Carla. Animals will eat foods of little food value much as we do as they generally taste good.

I'm also comforted that other folk buy supermarket treats for their animals......I buy at least 15 packets of biscuits and 7 loaves of bread for mine...but I limit the amount any one individual gets (hand feeding).Honestly, though, I'm NOT advocating this.

B&B Happy goats.....as Carla says, buy CBD on line. Make sure that it has at least 10% CBD. Medical cannabis isn't legal in Britain, but CBD oil is. CBD contains active and effective cannabinoids without the THC....so can be very effective without having to do anything illegal or go to extreme measures to purchase it. (Sorry I'm unable to expand the size of your CBD pics. due to an internet speed of 0.13 download here in the sticks) I'm using Entourage Oil from Love CBD based in Holland.
I did try looking for your Entourage Oil. Their website is all out of it and Amazon.com doesn’t have it. But, if it’s reasonably priced and available I will try it. Thank you.

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
This. I suspect you have a natural curiosity about a lot or most things in life..This, is a good trait to have. Many have it, some do not.

I often see people make statements or give instructions regarding agriculture and livestock but leave out the why and how-it-works part in all manner of subjects.

It should never be enough just to know 'something' works. We must all strive to understand how it works and why it works as it does, in all things.........otherwise, it's just 'experience' and not knowledge. The 2 are not the same thing.

Not to stray too far off subject, but if BYH is ever to be regarded by the greater ag internet community as THE Preeminent knowledge resource for herdsmen, it is incumbent upon each of us to make sure everything we post is accurate, truthful, hopefully repeatable, and as verifiable as possible, but keeping in mind not everything that works in one situation or location is applicable to another.
Each of us can say 'anything' but those statements don't necessarily make them true or accurate and I tend not to accept things that are just 'thrown out there'.

There is a centuries old philosophy (Hitchens's razor) that says:
'That which is/can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence'.
I tend to follow it if no explanation or good resource is given.

Farming, regardless of size and scope, is a life long learning experience and the easiest and cheapest way to learn is thru the experiences of others instead of making the same costly mistakes ourselves.
I'm pretty old now, and still very much learning, but I will not just accept someone's word for something. There has to be some back up for it, and I try very hard to make lengthy explanations of why and how things work when I tender advice.
Thank you. I do and always have wanted logic/reasoning/rationale behind most things. Especially if it involves the health, welfare, maintenance of people, pets, animals. It is very important to me to know the whys and why nots of these things.

I have always been a bit naive or generous with people. I’d prefer to take people and their words and actions for face value. That may be dumb on my part. But I think people want to be good, honest, and fair. I know I do. I’d like to think I’m not the only person that way. I’ve been given quite a few breaks in life. I like to do the same for others. But, that doesn’t typically pertain to the health and welfare of the people I love or my pets/animals in my life. That’s where the whys, ifs, and reasoning come in. Just because it worked for someone doesn’t mean it will work or be the right thing for me and mine.

You seem to be a very smart and wize man. I do value yours and latestarters opinions, and experiences a whole lot. Just as I do with the many people I’ve had the privilege of meeting in here. I typically like long and winded answers and replies. Maybe because I’m long winded myself. I find wordy posts and comments typically are more thought out, well worked, and thorough so I can understand them and figure out for myself if and why they may or may not pertain to me. Thank you @greybeard.

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Sheepshape thank you, i will be looking for that today. The medical cannabis is grown near us, it can be perscribed by certian dr. But you have to go thru so much to get it and right now and the costs are astronomical. My dr. Belives our state (Florida) will be moving along with our other states once they realize the tax revenues they will receive .....hopefully that will happen soon. Thank you for the information
I’m hoping for the same thing to happen in Wisc as well. We finally got rid of our governor, who is viamently opposed to medical marijuana for any reason. He’s also an outright idiot, in my opinion. I sure hope you can find some relief from CBD or Hemp oil. I sure did.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I still push beets and brussels sprouts out of the way. (I push the nasty brussels sprouts clean out the window)
Some think that ANY brussel sprout is nasty. You can shove yours onto my plate.

I’ve never heard of goat kefir. I’ll have to look that up.
There is a "local" goat dairy that sells kefir at the health food store. Plain and (since this is Vermont) Maple. The maple is good, haven't tried the plain. Don't buy it too often. They probably don't have it now, I think they dry their goats off for breeding.

Make sure that it has at least 10% CBD.
Except that since there is ZERO oversight, control, regulation, whatever, you don't know that what they claim is in their product is actually there. Consumer Reports found a lot of that in their examination of CBD products.

I’d prefer to take people and their words and actions for face value. That may be dumb on my part.
Me too, been screwed by it any number of times.

Last edited:

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score