Climbing climbing

lilipansy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Could you please post a picture of your new electric fence set up? I'm trying to learn about these types of electric fences. Thank you!

Btw, I love your dog!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
After several years our LGD bitch starting getting out. She would come around to the front gate to come back into the yard. We were very upset since although she (for an Anatolian) is pretty gentle with humans, we did not want her teaching the male (who is very sharp) how to get out.

When Rika began getting out of the yard I called our breeder to ask about it since she had not tried to get out before. He told me that the predator threat must have increased and the coyotes were no longer being warned off by the 2 LGDs. We only have 6 acres, but all around us the Creek fires in December have burned off the natural cover and now the coyotes are having trouble finding food. The coyotes have become very bold. A coyote took a beautiful ram that we were saving as a breeder during the day when both dogs were locked up while workmen repaired our roof.

Erick said that Rika probably got out to chase off the predator threat and then came back inside the fence once the threat was gone. From the way you describe your dog's behavior, and the size and number of coyotes around you, that is what is happening. It sounds as though you have a big coyote problem. The Anatolian/BMC sounds as though he has fantastic guardian skills and is doing a great job. Getting out is a problem although since he comes right back it sounds like he is just chasing the coyotes off. He is a great looking dog and reminds me of our male Anatolian. Locking him up would be a shame since he is doing just what he is supposed to be doing. Hopefully the electric wire will work. Just remember to check it everyday since different things can cause it to short out or shut off. Our hot wires used to shut off in the dead of night and the livestock would wake us up as they came crowding past our bedroom windows on the way to the feed barn!

In our case, we had already lined the base of the lower fence with lengths of chain link stretched inside along the ground with dirt and rocks on top. However because we are on a very steep gully dirt sloughs in and in some places the 5' fence is now 3-4'. We decided she must be going over. We bought taller posts and fastened them to the current 5' posts (the fence is made of oil pipe with no climb wire) and began stringing 4' high no climb above the current fencing wire to make the fence 8'+ tall thinking she as going over it. Got the area we though she was getting out at done and let her out. A week later she was out again. After searching the fence line for days we found a hole at the end of the base wire patch where a coyote had dug in. We filled it with rocks. Ok for several days then she was out again. Checked the fence and found some holes under the fence further along the top of the gorge fencing (almost inaccessible to us where the coyotes had dug in from outside. Had to buy another couple of rolls of chain link, separate into sections and drape across the hill at the base of the fence. While doing this we kept her locked up and just the male loose. We finally finished the chain link across the base f the fence and my husband plans to put logs on the outside of the fence too. We still have to finish raising the fence on the other half of the acreage with higher pipes and wire. Then we will do the bottom of some of the unaffected areas with the chain link. It is expensive, but in our area we have a hard time going around the perimeter fence to check hotwire and can't shoot coyotes easily since we are inside city limits. When we are done, the fence will be 8' high and nothing can dig under the fence.

Skiesblue

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
^lilipansy. Our electric fence is just a garden variety feed store charger, wire and yellow insulators. We used two kinds of insulators one fits on top of the t post and a five inch extender. There are great videos on YouTube on what to buy and how to install. Had we known how easy it is we would have done it long ago. :barnie Update he had a good night guarding the safe pen and didn’t get out although he could have. We are fine tuning some spots.

Skiesblue

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well out again. I am beginning to think he’s more trouble than he’s worth. I don’t say that lightly and tomorrow morning I’ll be ready to fine tune fence. But there is a limit
he appears to have gone under. Well we’ll see how it goes.

Skiesblue

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
A good nights sleep was really helpful. I’m not so colicky. Fence is hot and a panel put back in place. I never say never but I wouldn’t get rid of him. I have to remind myself that it’s his nature and very likely the reason he was in a rescue to begin with. Interviewing a new dog today as I’ve got Seniors ready to retire.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Glad you've gotten that bind out of your knickers... ;):hide He really does sound like a very good LGD... Just trying to do his job and move the threats away (FAR away). Good luck with the upcoming interview process! :)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
The biggest problem dogs make the best dogs. he is just highly intelligent and 100% committed to his job. It just comes down to teaching him his boundaries.

I have a male Great Pyrenees, Trip. He jumped out one time and I read him the riot act daily for weeks. I walked him around the pasture he jumped out of, shaking the fence and scolding. He hung his head, squinted his eyes and grinned. Honestly, it was hard not to laugh. I called him to me, praised him and marched him to the next length of fence. Rinse-repeat. He has never jumped OUT again, but he will jump the interior fences.

Your dog is smart, he just needs to know that it is not ok to jump OUT. Hang in there, together you and him will figure it out.

Skiesblue

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well the ol lady pyr got in the act and tore a hole in the inexpensive hog wire letting everyone under into another pasture but no one breached the hot perimeter. Fixed that now. I have the uneasy feeling there are more brains in the pasture than presently in the house :p with my husband at work.