Keep that baling twine away from your critters!!

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
****Graphic pic/video below*****

I put this in the goat section because it get the most traffic. This goes for ALL animals, not just goats.

This twine, although useful, is very dangerous and can KILL your animals. Please do not leave twine on the hay you feed and make sure to pick up any loose strings.

This video is graphic.... It shows the rumen contents of a cow, but not blood or guts. I think anyone who feeds hay should watch this.
VIDEO

And YES goats and sheep have suffered from the same thing. This is not to be taken lightly.

This was from a goat. That is netting/twine that was pulled out of the rumen.
11822498_1013430455367875_4077060742174881560_n.jpg

NOTE: these are not my photo's or videos. This was on FB and belong to Thompson Vet services.

Last edited:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh my gosh. So sad.
We think of hardware issues but twine!

I know we try to pull all twine off because we don't want dogs, goats, chickens tangled in it... honestly never though of them eating it.

Video lets you really get to see how bad something like that can get.
The pic makes we think of what could be in my goats.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Twine is useful stuff to keep around but yikes. Yup, best to keep it out of reach of mouths.

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We feed round bales to the Highland Cattle. More then once we have had to cut bailing strings off their horns. Some getting tight and going under the throats. It's always turned out ok but we watch for it. We also pick up all strings in the field after they finish a bale.

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
If there is a way for my sheep to get snarled in baling twine they will find it. I have found them bound literally head to foot. Also if you use cattle panels as part of your hay feeders know that lambs playing on top of the feeder can get their rear legs caught
(Can't imagine the acrobatics involved) in the panel. I've found them hanging upside down caught at the ? stifle. Actually my lgd found them and alerted me good girl Z!

Latest posts