Meet Pearl, New Horse

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I had to go back to page one and get the picture of her at the slaughter kill pen. She was so skinny, look at that scrawny neck. She didn't know where she was going, but I did. hmmmm…...it was love at first sight.

upload_2018-11-5_13-59-50-png.29167

Then I had to get a picture from a few days ago to compare the difference.

b621ac21-e4df-4afe-9724-1ef8097019aa-jpeg.30335

Today we went for our second ride. I am pleased. We rode about 6 or 7 miles, through the woods on the property next door, down a dead end road, back to the county road, down another dead end road, then to the corner. At the corner, I stopped her, she was fidgetedy, wanting to GO. I turned her around and we paced the 2 1/2 miles back. During our ride, she passed several tests. Pearl is not afraid of flapping plastic bags. Pearl is unafraid of culverts and the horse eating troll monsters that lurk within. She went past with barely a glance at the dark interior. We went over a narrow one car width culvert that spanned a 20 foot deep gulley with running water at the bottom. It was a steep drop off. She never broke stride, didn't look over the edge and shy, snort, or even flick an ear. Pearl is unfazed by barking dogs.

On the county road, here came a neighbor in his John Deere cab tractor. Not knowing if she would turn inside out and go to pieces, I stopped her and spoke calmly to her. Our neighbor is a old cowboy, he knows and trains horses, one of his sons makes his living being a cowboy, the other son cowboys on weekends. He saw me and slowed way down and got over to the other side of the road. We waved at each other as he went by. Pearl was perfectly ok with the tractor. A neighbor drove by and stopped to admire Pearl. The only problem Pearl had with that is she wanted to GO.

She enjoyed getting out and going for a ride and so did I. She's no spring chicken, but neither am I. There's a lot of life in both of these ol' gals and down the road we go!
That’s so heart warming to hear. The two of you are bonded souls.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wonderful to see the difference in her condition BUT! My favorite thing is the way she responds to everything and is not spooky at what she has experienced with you. Fewer problems to work on means more riding time to enjoy her! Sounds like her gaits are super comfortable too. Yeah! :hugs:weee Must have been well broke before she got in with someone who did not appreciate her.

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
Somebody has a horse on CL for $300.
Thought about getting her, but it says shes 9 yrs old and theyre not sure shes broke to ride? Id think a 9 yr okd horse would be broke at that age.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
There's a lot of halter broke only horses out there. They generally end up on a truck to Mexico for slaughter.

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
Id like to get her but just dont have the space for her now with the cows here. No grass. Need to move them one way or another so I can reseed my pasture.
Plus, would be worried goobermooch would hurt her like he did Chase.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Id like to get her but just dont have the space for her now with the cows here. No grass. Need to move them one way or another so I can reseed my pasture.
Plus, would be worried goobermooch would hurt her like he did Chase.
Get one that is already broke to ride.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Absolutely what Baymule said! Get a horse that s already broke - there are plenty of them around too. I like slightly older horses that are well trained so I can enjoy other peoples work. LOL

By the time you get the unbroken horse broke, you will have missed years of great riding time. So many unbroken horses around because a lot of people will get a young horse not realizing how much time, experience and training they have to put into a horse. Or they underestimate their own knowledge and experience. Once they realize they don't know how to train it, they then realize they don't have the money for a professional trainer. Then they buy training videos or read a book about how to break a horse, but the first time they try to do something they get scared or just keep putting it off. Finally, they just let the horse sit in the corral while telling their acquaintances that they "just have to start training that horse".

I have seen a lot of it out here. The worst example was when I was buying my daughter's first pony. I called the ad which advertised a "gentle child's pony". The owner said he was selling it because his 3 year old didn't like riding. The pony was also 3 years old and the owner had bought it when the child and colt were both 1 year old. He thought the colt and child could "grow up together"! :lol::gigI didn't even ask if he had bothered to geld it!

Get a nice little well broke horse so you can enjoy it from day one. It will still take a few weeks or months to really understand each other, so you might as well be able to start right away. Then post pictures so we can see you enjoying yourself!

I gave my daughter-in-law a nice little wild caught 2 year old mustang to break. She did all the ground work beautifully, but sadly pregnancy and 2 children got in her way. Finally she is having it trained professionally - it only took 8 years! That little horse should be great for my grandsons once they put some miles on it. Really smart and nicely put together little dun. I am tempted to ask for him back when we move to Texas. LOL He is nice and short, only about 14 hh. Easy on and off as I get older. I am beginning to consider a Ffiord pony though for mounting ease!

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
Id love to get another horse, but as Ive stated before, Im afraid my idiot stalker neighbor would hurt it like he did my other horse. I cant afford to move even though Id like to and to get more land, like 5 to 10 acres. Its just a wish.