newton's the goats journal

newton the goat

Herd Master
Reaction score
So i offically bought my breeding pair of flemish/new zealand rabbits so far i dont have names for them but time will tell ( or maybe a few of you have suggestions;))
The fawn one is my female and the albino is my male lol. Atleast ill be able to tell the difference between the two :D =D
20180507_204702.png
20180507_204806.png

Btw lil secret between you and me *looks over each shoulder*

Hi my name is morgain and im addicted to collecting animals :lol:

Everybody meet frey a flemish/ zealand cross and the fawn does half sister. Only difference is she has the mane gene as did her father unlike my fawn :love
Screenshot_20180508-185004.png

I know.... :idunno i have an issue :lol:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You sure are in the right place to have animal collecting issues. :gig Nice looking bunnies. If your female is Flemish, as in Flemish Giant, she will get big. Generally, the giant breeds take longer to grow, because they grow bones first, then meat to cover the frame. New Zealands are the premiere meat breed. A cross of the two breeds ought to give you some good meat fryers. Keep them in their own, separate cages, if you aren't already. When ready to breed, take the doe to the buck's cage.

newton the goat

Herd Master
Reaction score
You sure are in the right place to have animal collecting issues. :gig Nice looking bunnies. If your female is Flemish, as in Flemish Giant, she will get big. Generally, the giant breeds take longer to grow, because they grow bones first, then meat to cover the frame. New Zealands are the premiere meat breed. A cross of the two breeds ought to give you some good meat fryers. Keep them in their own, separate cages, if you aren't already. When ready to breed, take the doe to the buck's cage.
All three are flemish crossed with new zealand. They (hopefully) arent ready for breeding yet as they are still really young. The woman im buying them off of says they should be safe to keep together in one pen until the bucks pen is ready, but then again look at my luck with things like that so im trying to quickly make a sturdy run for him but honestly "quick " and "sturdy" arent really two words that go together :hide im trying to call upon all my old rabbit knowledge i seem to remeber having in the past but my memory seems to blank when i try to go back that far :lol:

So heres to relearning old knowledge! Or atleast trying to in my case.

Here is a question. i have a nice big run that i was planning on putting my girls together in would it be better to split it in half and give half to each doe or is it fine to provide multiple places to nest and let them stay together?

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi my name is morgain and im addicted to collecting animals :lol:
And here I thought your name was Newton ;)
Morgain fits you very well as in "gain more animals".

Here is my new bunny
DSCN0948.JPG

It isn't actually MY bunny, I about stepped on it next to the door to the stall where I keep a couple of bales of hay next to the alpacas' alley space. Can't tell from this picture but it is palm sized. My first thought was RAT!!!! since there is a hole that goes under the chicken coop stall (*) but then decided the ears were a bit big for a rat. And it was VERY still, rats run and I've not ever seen one during the day.

* no worries, floor is covered with 1/2" hardware cloth under rubber horse mats.

newton the goat

Herd Master
Reaction score
When I kept rabbits, I gave each doe her own cage and the buck his own cage. They get territorial and will fight.

Get the buck his own cage-pronto! People don't say, "multiply like rabbits" for nothing!
I am going to seperate the buck and the does for sure but i was wondering if i could house my girls colony style and make sure there is multiple nesting boxes away from the others

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
At least your wild rabbits have the sense to have their little ones where they can at least have some protection. I have a couple of burrows out in the open in the lawn where I expect the mower to suck them up at some point.
I have no idea where the rabbit was born or how it made its way into the barn. Haven't seen it again.