Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hated to hear your reflux dilemma, and your coffee ban. I thought abt peppermint tea because I use it in winter when congested, but you said its off limits. What abt Chamomile tea? It soothes me. Hoping you can find a substitute that works for you besides just broth.

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Jeeze Mini... have you looked at craigslist? Here there are boy goats out the wazoo for cheap. I would think come kid weaning season, there would be all kinds of "unwanted" nigie boys available for you there.

ETA: Grats on two new doelings! Don't get much better n' that. :thumbsup the "ETA" because I'm up with reflux and not thinking straight/missing the obvious. :\
I've heard too much bad stuff about craigslist. I don't do social media. No facebook, twitter, instagram, nothing like that unless you consider BYH social media. How cheap do you mean? I don't have any other income except what I get from egg and vegetable sales. I'm also a full time student at UTM.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
prices here won't reflect prices there... you just have to search. There's "bad stuff" everywhere, and yes, BYH is also a form of social media. Most of the time, you can tell a "good" ad from a questionable one just by reading it. They are generally pretty obvious. If not, they should become so when you actually try to contact the poster. I've sold goats on CL and have had no issues at all. You could also advertise yourself, looking for a healthy nigie buck with little $$ available to spend. You might be pleasantly surprised. Someone might have one they've been trying to get rid of unsuccessfully and may contact you and give it to you.

ETA: sorry for hijacking your thread WH...

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
prices here won't reflect prices there... you just have to search. There's "bad stuff" everywhere, and yes, BYH is also a form of social media. Most of the time, you can tell a "good" ad from a questionable one just by reading it. They are generally pretty obvious. If not, they should become so when you actually try to contact the poster. I've sold goats on CL and have had no issues at all. You could also advertise yourself, looking for a healthy nigie buck with little $$ available to spend. You might be pleasantly surprised. Someone might have one they've been trying to get rid of unsuccessfully and may contact you and give it to you.

ETA: sorry for hijacking your thread WH...
Latestarter! There is a new emergency goat posting. Could you view it? It is by B&B Happy Goats. New owner with a 8 month old niggie in labor!! No vet around!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Just responded... Thanks :thumbsup

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
So I promised y’all more details and I’m finally getting a chance to do that.

For those that don’t know Caramel’s history, she is a pain. She was fine at the farm that she was born at and when I bought her in milk in Nov, she threw fits on the milkstand, was aggressive toward my other Nigerians, dropped her milk production, and threw such a bad fit of just screaming one day that I called her breeder AND Southern to make sure she was okay. I ended up drying her off and breeding her again. My hope was that we would bond and be on a better footing.

During her pregnancy, Caramel continued to pick on Nellie but mostly left everyone else alone.

Friday, I noticed that Caramel was more standoffish about the other does being near her and was hanging along the walls of the stall and wouldn’t go outside. Her udder has grown some and her Ligs were gone in the morning but back that evening.

Saturday morning, Ligs were gone again. Udder just slightly larger, definitely dropped more. More vocal. Didn’t want any other goats in her space. Still eating. I checked her every 1-2 hrs all day.

Sat evening her udder had increased from one check to the next. She had some clear discharge, was much more vocal, and had begun pacing. Caramel just progressed from there. I stayed with her.

My concerns were that she wouldn’t just lay down and push, that she kept sitting on her haunches, and then she started grinding her teeth. There had been no real progress by that point and I was terrified of her wearing down. She was becoming increasingly vocal by the minute.

I ended up checking her and she wasn’t fully dilated but I could feel four feet. I slowly massaged her to finish dilating her and found a nose in the meantime. I found the front legs that went with that head and started pulling. The gold doe with extensive white was out first. Got her dry and breathing good and dipped her navel. Caramel helped clean her but never stopped talking.

Finally Caramel laid down and tried a few weak, irregular pushes and a bag appeared with no signs of a kid and no additional contractions. I went back in and found a deep kid that I pulled on out. This was the dark buckskin doe. She was also cleaned up and had her navel dipped. Caramel was still talking.

We waited awhile and she was up and down and nursed the two with some assistance and wasn’t doing any contracting so I checked again and only found the placenta.

Came in at almost 2am. Back out before 7 to check on everyone. First doe was nursing on her own, the second needed some guidance. Tonight both are nursing well.

With the before and after midnight, we are going with both born on 10/7.

Stats:
K10- gold with extensive white Doeling- Snow White- 3.0#
K11- dark buckskin with extensive white Doeling- Rapunzel- 2.8#

I weighed the girls again tonight and both weighed 3#. One is gaining and one is maintaining. I’ll weigh them again in the morning.

Now for pics! These are from the middle of the night.

Caramel with Snow White.
B1D81DA1-ED9F-4F1C-A055-F788C2D21C12.jpeg

Shows some of Snow White’s gold showing through.
55FC4879-6828-41E1-90A7-69BF03705D04.jpeg

Snow White standing and Rapunzel getting her bath.
9F76343B-E32F-4A3A-9DAF-20B8FABA7353.jpeg

Both kids. You can tell Caramel is talking in this pic. I love the variation in their markings!
3CD91874-E43A-49E9-B478-22203EE3085A.jpeg

Snow White trying to nurse my pants!
4BEEC451-9D50-4918-B18F-9751B56939B9.jpeg

Caramel and Rapunzel. I finally got my buckskin!
DE41BF1B-4D7F-481E-AF04-3CBE2FAB250B.jpeg

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Beautiful kids. The darker one is very flashy - she will catch the judge's eye! Hopefully her udder turns out nice.

You were absolutely right to pull them. I would rather be aggressive and pull when in doubt than chance losing the kids. Glad you pulled them. Feeling 4 feet at once meant a bad presentation so happy you corrected it! Pulling the second one was definitely the right choice. From the symptoms it sounds like she was having a hard time with the first one and exhausted by the time the second one needed to be pushed out.

Congratulations on two darling does!

Latest posts