Best disbudding iron

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have the 30 with the 1/2" tip. I can't help with technique as I am horrible at it and have friends do it for me.

I used to have people tell me that I couldn't use an extension cord as the iron wouldn't get hot enough. As long as you use a big enough cord, I use a 12 gauge, it is fine.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
1. ALWAYS have ice packs ready!
2. Put ice pack on between burns.
3. After you burn hold pack on for a few minutes then spray dermaplast on both burns!

Burn when you feel the nub and it can move still. Often people wait too long and the horn is already forming underneath.

Bucks and especially standard bucks are hardest... because some are born with the horns just about to poke through. That is generally a scur waiting to happen. For standard bucks the buck tip which you'd need the 50 for may make a big difference.

Buck tips on Nigies may not provide the burn area where it needs to be- IOW to far outside the bud.

The buck tip I WARN YOU- does have a much larger surface to it... that is alot of burn and heat on the skull... so IMO I think larger bucks would fare better. Nigies are so tiny I worry about their heads heating up too much.

BUT I am going to tag @OneFineAcre because he uses the buck tip and has Nigerians so he has more to offer on the use of this... maybe he can show a picture too.

Also going to talk about the clove oil in another post.... coming soon! :D

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! I'd like my dad to do it- not the vet as I have heard and seen the results of the vet disbudding ( HUGE scurs- pretty much horns, but I do want the vet to show us how to do the lidocaine)
We are also having another breeder show us how to do it, but any advice is very much appreciated.
How many seconds long can you do without worrying you are heating up the skull too much? How many times do you burn? I know it is different for boys and girls.
What meds to you give? The breeder who is going to show us uses banamine and oweze herbal formula.
Is emla cream safe to put on as well?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
We no longer use anything burn and done and they hop around like nothing ever happened.

I do L/R ice L/R ice... time is different with all the goats... Keep tip flush but rotate clockwise light pressure...
One goat may do ok with so many seconds yet another goat not.
practice on a board.

SHAVE the area... it is easier to see when you are getting a good burn and it won't smoke and smell like it does with hair! UGH

People talk about copper but that copper can be their and you haven't really burned deep enough. You do not want white.

Usually vets do get scurs more than other because they are doing them when people bring them in-which is usually to late.
The other factor is many vets won't do Nigerians... they look at them and are afraid they will kill them because they are so tiny. Vets that work with a lot of standards will often tell the client to use a Nigie breeder if they can.

It could be 5/5 5/5 or 5/5/ 8/8 or 8/8/ 8/8

A few vets I know do a 15 second burn :eek: :ep :th
Of course that is on standards...
Um NO I won't do that and definitely not on a Nigie.

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Okay, just clarifying- the 30x 1/2 inch tip is okay for all size goat disbuddings, right?