Coffee anyone ?

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can get the wood type with a smaller diameter. I use the #9 most of the time since I normally use 2x4 or 2x6s s for my roof supports. It's why I recommended McCoys to Baymule...they are a building supply store and have a much better selection and better employees and they have a store in Mt Pleasant and one in Tyler..
Scroll down to the part where it says "Customers also shopped for" and use the the arrows to scroll across to different sizes. These screws are also self drilling, but use a different type point and they are for drilling thru metal roofing into wood.
https://www.amazon.com/Metal-ROOFIN...0?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1521078336&sr=1-10

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I thought about McCoy's, I really like their store. But I went to Mineola to a Cade's hardware store since it is much closer to me, so I could get back and go to work. I got the type you recommend Greybeard. Didn't get to the metal today, but I now have the screws for it.

@Bunnylady my Lowes used to have the size box of metal screws like you pictured, but not any more.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
'Al' is originally from Texas - bigger is better.
true... very true :old

But I have had my metal roof pull up and off of the regular washers and start flapping about in a wind storm. :sick

Had to use the same screws, but with bigger washers, and screw the whole thing back down.... In the storm. :eek:

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the coffee, Sour!:caf

I have had my metal roof pull up and off of the regular washers and start flapping about in a wind storm. :sick

Have to admit, I've wondered about that one myself, particularly as thin as a lot of the metal roofing is these days.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I NEED COFFEE!! I am sore from all my Scrap And Crap pig barn building. I hope to get the tin on today, but daughter is bringing the grand daughters over this afternoon to help me plant zucchini and corn. I have to get in the garden and get some rows ready for that. But getting the tin on is still one of my goals today.

Just. Moving. S.L.O.W.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
But I have had my metal roof pull up and off of the regular washers and start flapping about in a wind storm. :sick

Had to use the same screws, but with bigger washers, and screw the whole thing back down.... In the storm. :eek:
Where do you find the rubber "gasketed" roof screws with bigger washers?

Baymule..check your local McCoys builders. They will have what you want..sold by the lb. in bulk from a big bin. Pick out as much as you want, put them in the paper sack they provide and weigh it. They will have several different kinds & lengths in bulk as well as others by the box, and probably better quality as well.
That would be ideal. The prepackaged ones are likely a lot more expensive BECAUSE they are prepackaged. And when you run out and need, say 60 more, you have to buy the 100 pack.