Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You are kinda ram heavy for the number of ewes you have, but i am sure you have a plan. I like Ezra, he is one handsome boy and an excellent sire for your flock.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
You are kinda ram heavy for the number of ewes you have, but i am sure you have a plan. I like Ezra, he is one handsome boy and an excellent sire for your flock.
Most of those boys will be going to market when they are big enough. Will just have the two for breeding/companionship with one another. :yesss:

wolf

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I saw you
Bee a mean Dorper ram I had was scared of a flapping plastic grocery bag. It was easy to keep him on his toes. I chased him flapping a bag and yelling at him. That made him wary, but he still snuck up behind me and rammed me a few times. Wish I had thought of the collar and bell! He went to freezer camp.
say that once, and decided my "flat diaper" pocket rag would work good. I yanked that whire rag out, swung it over my head in a circle - and I swear that Twinkle thought I'd pulled an Eagle outta my pocket and was hnting sheep!

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Big Red has settled down in his ram paddock and I finally let him up into the brushy portion of it...and yesterday he appeared with a limp to his front leg and a small puncture wound to that shoulder. Unfortunately I can't get a hand on him to examine it, though I have lured him into eating out of my hand, with the peanut butter dog biscuits...those things must be GOOD!

I'll likely loop a rope and try to slip it over his head the next time he comes for a biscuit, as he's too strong for me to grasp his dog collar and hold him. A rope gives me distance and leverage with my own weight behind it if he runs. I'd really like to get a look at that wound...doesn't seem inflamed nor are flies blowing it, but he's limping all the same, so it must have went deeply enough to hit muscle.

He'll be breeding in June, so I'd like to get him healed up prior to that...it's coming up quickly!

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Big guy probably had the wise idea to roll or lay on a stick...
That paddock also has tree tops in it from logging, so lots of pointy, dead limbs sticking out in the areas where they are browsing, right at his shoulder height. I figure he got stobbed on one of those. Can't wait to get hold of him and see for myself.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hope it’s not serious. Maybe a cow panel pen in your pastures to feed sheep In would be a help when you need to catch one. Oh, but cow panels cost money and I know you better than to expect you to pay money to construct a pen. If anybody around there has a sawmill, you could get the sawmill slats and use them. Or pallets or whatever you come upon. :love

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hope it’s not serious. Maybe a cow panel pen in your pastures to feed sheep In would be a help when you need to catch one. Oh, but cow panels cost money and I know you better than to expect you to pay money to construct a pen. If anybody around there has a sawmill, you could get the sawmill slats and use them. Or pallets or whatever you come upon. :love
Currently building a catch pen and loading chute with these big skid pallets....as we type! I occasionally use money on things but not if I can get it free instead! :D =D

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I caught him up with the use of the dog biscuits. There's no wound there, just a grease spot. Checked his entire hoof and there's no wound, swelling or inflammation of any kind to the gland there nor the hooves themselves. I can find no wound, swelling or painful area at all on that limb.

I noticed one of the ram lambs is also limping a bit on one of his front legs and the brain started to kick in....I think they are foundered! There's an over abundance of clover to the ratio of grass in that paddock and I think they are getting too rich a diet there. I was hoping eating the brush would counteract that richness but then the brush they are eating is likely high in protein as well, being autumn olive and multiflora rose~26% and 16% protein, respectively.

They are not bloated looking at all, but what's the likelihood of a large ram limping on a front leg and a few days later, a 2 mo. old ram lamb limping in the same way? Might have to rotate those guys into a crappier paddock or move them onto the back of that paddock and out of the clover growing mostly in the front of the paddock.

I'll also offer some baking soda and see if they sample it.

Latest posts