Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Could be we will be picking up our new flock guardian tomorrow, if the Lord wills it. A 5 mo. old Anatolian pup that's already been started on sheep and chickens, which is a perfect fit for us here. Owner says he stays on guard, doesn't leave the place nor the flock.

Ben is not nor will not bond with the sheep at all, as he was here long before the sheep were and has no interest in them beyond if he can steal any food they may have. Moving the sheep through paddock rotations will take them, eventually, a distance out of sight of the place and from safety, so they will need a dog bonded to the flock for that.

And God provides.....at a price we can afford and then some, which is unusual for this breed and from this particular breeder.

I think we'll name him Blue...

1574173250046.png

...and this time I'll work in a different direction than I did with Ben. This one will be all about the sheep and nothing more. Basic training on things that could hurt us or him, but more of a hands off approach than I had to do with Ben.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Went and fetched Blue....he's a great dog! I'm thanking God for sending us this dog and can't wait to see how he performs here. A sweet, dignified, humble but strong young dog....very polite and correct in his behavior, though he had never had any socialization or training of any kind when dealing with situations outside of living in his flock. I'm greatly impressed with him already and am seeing things I've never seen in any of my dogs....good things.

Will post pics when I get back from another trip....for now he's in the pen with his new flock and adapting as well as he can so far from his home flock and pack. He's been a real trooper all through this stressful change and all the new things he's had to face and learn.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pics of the new dog...still working out his ways and finding out a few surprises about this dog. It's like learning dogs all over again...this breed is a whole other breed of cat, which I knew but it's different when you actually experience it. I'm impressed with how he thinks and I think this will be a fun journey.

Shine lays down the law....he's wary, as a good dog should be.

100_2349.JPG (729.26KiB)

100_2357.JPG (873.42KiB)

100_2359.JPG (809.95KiB)

100_2365.JPG (1.14MiB)

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love his markings.

I do too, though that was not my first choice in Anatolian colors/markings....I had wanted the traditional fawn color pup. But, this is the one God chose for me and I've come to think he's very beautiful and am glad now to have this color. It's unusual coloring among LGDs.

He should blend well into a multicolored Katahdin flock, which is good. Like having a sheep with fangs lurking among them. :D

He's learning quickly and I'm so liking this pup's intelligence and nature....makes things easier. I'm not having to do much on my end, but watching him learn the sheep, his role here and how he's doing his job is delightful. And he's quiet, which I love...he barks when necessary and that will increase as he matures, but he already seems to know what is bark worthy. He also seems to be able to take cues from Ben by not being overly talkative.

Had a lot of family out today and little kids...he only got in trouble once but learned the lesson well. He was trying to romp with the 1 yr old and knocked her down twice, but it didn't take much to correct him and he learned it well. He's not too exuberant as a puppy, keeping his actions low and gentle, which speaks of his intelligence and sensitivity to small creatures.

The sheep are accepting him more and he's not trying to bunch them as often, though he will move them into what he considers safer zones now and again....and that fascinates me! How does such a young dog KNOW? Apparently he's working on some amazing instinct or he's been paying good attention to his elders at his prev. home.

The limp is barely noticeable now...you'd have to know it was there to notice it... and he's getting up and down easily from a lying position, so a few meds have made a huge difference for him.

Can't WAIT to see how this dog develops...this should be an amazing journey!

Latest posts