Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow...two rooms!! How many people?? I bet you guys are all very close knit. That’s nice. :)

:lol: No, we were not the Waltons, no matter how much I wished we were. When we moved back there, there were 4 kids still in school, but with older kids drifting back home from the military, divorce(and bringing their kids along), etc. Any given time there could be 6-8 people sleeping in one room. And not a big room....I could reach out and touch my parent's bed, I slept with my sister and my brother bunked over us.

I'm the youngest of 9 kids and everyone always asked us if we were like the Waltons, but, alas, none of us are close to one another and weren't even before moving off grid and into smaller situations.

But, I never complain about how we lived, as it formed my whole perspective on life and how much a person actually needs in order to live it....not much, as it turns out. I wish every person on Earth had to live that way for a good portion of their lives so they could realize just how little one needs in order to be content.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
You are sooo right about a simpler way of life. I grew up pretty spoiled, from a wealthy background. My husband actually makes a lot of money too...but we are major penny pinchers! When we go on road trips, we take sack lunches. We never eat out. We cook from scratch. We have no debt. Living simple...’off the grid’ appeals to me in sooo many ways.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Finally got a start...however small....on the fencing for the sheep. Rented a 2 man post hole auger, though it had to be used as a one man, one woman auger. Not ideal, as I'm short and old, son is young and tall. :D
Much frustration and strained muscles later, we had several holes dug for gate posts, corner posts and support posts for the barn/wood shed.

Got a few gates, will put in posts tomorrow for those and hopefully put in corner posts as well. And that's just for B paddock and a few in A paddock. Timber guys are currently working to remove large trees and pines out of B paddock so we can get started on getting this fence, at least, done so as to get the sheep out on fresh soils for lambing.

Will order line posts next week~using Timeless t posts for that~and charger, as well as will be buying tensioners, fencing jenny, wire and other items for getting this fence up. Later will order the line reels and polybraid. This one will be the most difficult, whereas the others will just be tying into this one and stringing line.

Neither of us have ever put in high tensile fencing, so this should be quite the learning curve....hope and pray we get it done right. We'll soon find out if we did. If we did, then it's the sheep and dogs' turn to learn a thing or two about electric fencing. OUCH. I'm sure I'll get juiced more than once in this journey, as I'm very clumsy, so they won't be alone.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with be zapped.i done it more then once actually happened while i was pregnant with my youngest there was a immediate call to the midwife to make sure the baby was fine.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
What type of charger are you going to be using Bee?

We were thinking about getting a Cyclops, but they are in the middle of a warehouse move and won't be able to ship orders until after March 21st, which may or may not line up with when we will need it, depending upon how quickly we can get this fence in.

In light of that, we may go with a Zareba....not sure.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
We were thinking about getting a Cyclops, but they are in the middle of a warehouse move and won't be able to ship orders until after March 21st, which may or may not line up with when we will need it, depending upon how quickly we can get this fence in.

In light of that, we may go with a Zareba....not sure.

Solar or AC?
I have been using a Zareba solar at one of my jobs that's vacant in the winter to keep the deer damage down. So far I'm happy with it.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bee, maybe you should start a new thread, linked to this one and link this one to the new thread. A new thread on putting up electric fence, it would help anyone searching for “how to” and it would open up more discussion on the subject. Just a thought. :)

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bee, maybe you should start a new thread, linked to this one and link this one to the new thread. A new thread on putting up electric fence, it would help anyone searching for “how to” and it would open up more discussion on the subject. Just a thought. :)

I'll try to do that, Bay...good idea. Most of my how to on electric fence thus far has been gleaned from watching Greg Judy vids.

Took some pics of the girls, out on grass for a little bit because it was so very pretty out. We don't have much grass yet, but it was enough for a taste. Gave them some alfalfa/orchard grass hay to sample along with their greens so they wouldn't get a bellyache from the sudden change in diet...and, being the smart sheep they are, they did indeed take turns on grass and hay until the hay was nearly gone.

If you are wondering about what Blue is wearing in these pics, it's a triangle of PVC that keeps him from worming his way in the pop door of my coop and stealing all my eggs. It's working great, BTW.
GOPR0161.JPG
GOPR0162.JPG
GOPR0165.JPG
GOPR0166.JPG
GOPR0170.JPG
GOPR0171.JPG
GOPR0172.JPG
GOPR0173.JPG
GOPR0154.JPG
GOPR0157 (2).JPG