newton's the goats journal

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Will be doing that as soon as the ground thaws.... oh please let him be a late bloomer, what's the best (and most cost efficient way) to do a pregnancy test on a sheep?
Probably a urine test, idk. Love your sheep btw! My first sheep were hair sheep. Im hooked on the wool sheep now!

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Probably a urine test, idk. Love your sheep btw! My first sheep were hair sheep. Im hooked on the wool sheep now!
I honestly would love wool sheep if I knew how to sheer. Lol maybe one year I could buy a lamb of ya or something ;) Stella and Brutus are adorable :love

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep... I'll be learning how to do the urine test soon or something hopefully.... wish the snow would go so we could put up the fence already :he, are there any easy ways to check for pregnancy? Or ways that work that aren't too expensive? (That I can afford)
You could send in a blood test. I have never done it but I have heard it isn't too expensive.

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You could send in a blood test. I have never done it but I have heard it isn't too expensive.
Better build a milking stand then this year, because my sheep won't stand for that :lol: even if they don't mind me, they don't let me that close, so sounds like fun :gigI'll give it a shot (literally)

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Today was a rough start to the day, as soon as I wake up every morning I go check on the chicks to make sure they are doing alright, and one of the chicks didnt make it through the night....though I knew it was coming it was hard, the chick wasnt as strong as the others and was panting ... I kept removing it from the heat, but it wasn't that it was overheating, it was having troubles breathing and I didn't figure that out till it was too late.... :hit.... I feel like I could have prevented it if I had only figured it out earlier!

After disposing of the poor chick I went out to deal with everyone else, but slipped on an icy spot and came down hard, and then when I opened the chicken house door, our flew one of my girls and she landed in a snow bank so took me a bit of time to catch her and make sure she wasn't overly cold or had any external injuries since she hit the same ice patch I did... urgh today just isn't my day!.
And worst comes to worst the coyotes have been exploring around my sheep pen again and did some damage to my gate. That I'll need to repair today.
20170316_082406.jpg

We had chicken wire lining our gate since newton would stick her head through and her horns would get stuck.... and it's been ripped down and torn up in certain spots
20170316_082352.jpg

And I know it's no one of our neighboors dogs because they are tibentan mastiff crosses and have much bigger feet and take much longer strides... and Our Dogs ARE MUCH Smaller Know their feet Tend To Brush along the snow when they Walk.
20170316_082451.jpg

Guess who is getting a hunting license soon.... (I refuse to loose any animals to coyotes... so I will put up the best defense I can!)

Attachments

• 20170316_082443.jpg
    20170316_082443.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 95

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
are there any easy ways to check for pregnancy? Or ways that work that aren't too expensive? (That I can afford)

The easiest & least expensive way to determine if your lamb/ewe is pregnant is to mark your calendar right now today. Then go out and permanently separate the ram from the ewes so there's no chance he can impregnate them after today. Then go 5 months (or ~153 days) forward and mark THAT date on your calendar. If there are no lambs produced by that date, then you know conclusively that the ewes are NOT pregnant! See how easy and inexpensive that is? ;)

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The easiest & least expensive way to determine if your lamb/ewe is pregnant is to mark your calendar right now today. Then go out and permanently separate the ram from the ewes so there's no chance he can impregnate them after today. Then go 5 months (or ~153 days) forward and mark THAT date on your calendar. If there are no lambs produced by that date, then you know conclusively that the ewes are NOT pregnant! See how easy and inexpensive that is? ;)
Wow perfect inexpensive pregnancy test :lol: I shall try that one out! ( posts will go in in the next few days and fence will go up!) Ground had a major thaw today! Went from -7 to +10!!!!!

newton the goat

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Got tired of seeing her tail all gross so while I was giving her a good scratching, I whipped out a small pair of scissors and before she Knew what happened trimmed that gross stuff off lol. She may be pregnant and grumpy but that doesn't mean she needs to look untidy or have stuff on her tail :lol:. And if she doesn't like it well then have the baby already and I won't have to tidy her as often lol. (I didn't knick her, just trimmed a bit of hair off the sides :gig) she didn't even notice XD

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Great that you got to see your friends at the Museum!!!!! Love the pics, yep a trio of likable goofballs.

Coyotes!!!! :he You have any hot wire up? I would get on that ASAP even if it is just a relatively short fence outside the chicken area. In fact, put it a just foot outside, they won't be able to jump it without hitting the existing fence and would hit the hot wire on the way over or landing Fry their noses a time or two and maybe they will look for their chicken/goat dinner elsewhere.