Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Added two ram lambs to the flock today....both excellent looking fellows at an incredible price~$125 ea. Both twins out of big ol' ewes with nice udders. Will get pics later~will share the FB pics until then~ much too busy right now....traveled all day picking up free bales of mulch hay, then 6 hr round trip for the rams, and got another day like that tomorrow when I'll go transport 20 round bales of barn kept hay~for $5 a bale!!!!!!(folks be clearing out barns for the first cut of the season) But, first we are buying a really great hay trailer.

One ram is cream with black speckles on face, ears and all four legs and the other is black with a white blaze, two white socks on hind legs and I think he has white on his tail also. Both have decent conformation, both a good size for their age(2.5-3 mo.) and both healthy as horses....came from a great place and nice folks.

1588217053112.png

He's the lamb in the middle, next to his mama.

1588217102994.png

Also added a female Anatolian pup recently, not sure if I wrote that here on this thread. She's 2 mo. old and smart as a whip, has learned so much in a week and a half that I'm greatly impressed. She's already very much in love with the sheep and they seem to like her pretty well too. She's quiet, obedient, confident and sweet.

Am thinking about making some Johnson aprons for these two rams and running them in with the ewes until I have to separate out the lambs.....anyone have any negative experiences with those? Don't want any oops breeding.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
What a find on those two handsome boys! I can’t wait to see how they grow off! They will contribute to your flock.

Anatolian puppy! Whoo-eeeee! You have been wanting one for a long time. Dreams do come true!

Great deal on the hay! You sure find some good deals. You hunt, God provides.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
The more I look at those rams the more pleased I am....both are very well balanced animals. Was looking at how pretty they both are and realized that I got a black ram with white points and a white ram with black points....sort of a ying and yang situation. No, I'm not calling them that. :D =D

Very pretty boys and I look for them to be very pretty rams as they grow.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Been hauling hay for days now...have 20 square bales of mulch hay to use on the garden and pasture and have 17 round bales on the land now, going after 14 more tomorrow. All that hay for $155...all barn kept.
Placing the round bales up on skids or railroad ties but can't afford enough tarps or plastic to wrap them all, so will just leave them as is and peel off the outer layer as we feed them out. The sheep really like hay that's been sitting like that and fermenting on the inside of the bale.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
The two new ram lambs will be getting fed a little oats, alfalfa and BOSS today to get them used to seeing me as the food bringer. Need to acclimate them to coming to a feed pan before I put them out into pasture, as their life will consist of moving through paddocks to new places on a frequent basis...until we get lush stands of grass, there will be no incentive to move to a new paddock unless I can get them conditioned to the red feed pan enticements. :D =D

Until then, they are confined to a holding pen with alfalfa hay, water and my 30 pieces of silver in the form of feed, in hopes they will start to tame down a bit.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Feed is a good reason for Sheep to love you! Mine can hear my voice and start calling me to feed them. LOL I love it. Spoiled rotten beasts. Do you call them when you feed them? I shriek SHEEP! SHEEP! SHEEP! They run to me. They know there will be a pan of Feed for them.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you call them when you feed them? I shriek SHEEP! SHEEP! SHEEP! They run to me.
Excellent advice. i make a practice of shouting "Girlies, come on Girlies" and clap my hands. As sheep and lambs get used to you and associate this behaviour with food, they will come over if you shout of clap your hands.