Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looks like you have a real winner.

Don't be surprised if she goes through some teenage "play behavior " issues later with the sheep or lambs. Even the best guardians will often play rough with the sheep at a certain age when they identify with them as pack members.

It looks like she is really watching Blue for her cues so she may play with blue instead of the lambs. But even if she plays rough with the sheep at around 12-18 months old, she will pass through that phase. Usually it is as they want to play and identify with the sheep so closely that they try to play with them in a pack manner, nipping at ears and legs. Not acceptable but identifiable and instead of freaking out you can deal with it if it occurs. Not all LGDs go through this phase.

This pup sounds like a terrific LGD. Congratulations!

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pinky Pie met children for the first time today and her initial reaction to was the most strange I'd ever seen. From afar she started barking at us as I led the group of grandkids into the field...then as we continued to walk towards her, she tucked her tail and ran, yelping all the way. She ran clear down the paddock and hid behind a huge pile of stump logs. I called to her as I walked towards her, having left the visitors about 50 yds behind me, seated in the hay.

As I advanced towards her she started screaming like I was beating her....a very high pitched screaming like I'd never heard out of any dog I'd ever owned! After I got a hand on her, she shut up and let me pick her up. I petted her and talked sweet to her all the way back to the grandkids and when she got there she acted like any other puppy....a loving ball of sweetness and licks.

A very weird first reaction, to say the least, but she soon warmed up and acted like a normal pup...but she didn't try to follow us down the field and to the gate along with Blue, which I thought was good.

100_2605.JPG
100_2606 (1).JPG

100_2596 (1).JPG
100_2597 (1).JPG
100_2598.JPG
100_2599 (1).JPG

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Lol, reminds me of a few times with my horses. I had an old been there / done that type of appaloosa gelding that absolutely lost his mind at a show because there was a costume class and a girl had dressed up as Little Bo Peep and dressed her yearling mini donkey as a sheep. Thunder backed all the way around our truck and stock trailer trying to get away from that sheep donkey!

Another time was when I got my mini... first they all were scared to death of him, and then the switch flipped and they all wanted to KILL him... they settled down pretty quickly (a few days) but it was an exciting first few days for the little guy who can actually run as fast as a normal sized horse even though his legs are only about a foot long!

Also, that pup is so cute and young that you don't realize just how BIG she is until you see her with kids nearly the same size as her. She's going to be a monster!

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lol, reminds me of a few times with my horses. I had an old been there / done that type of appaloosa gelding that absolutely lost his mind at a show because there was a costume class and a girl had dressed up as Little Bo Peep and dressed her yearling mini donkey as a sheep. Thunder backed all the way around our truck and stock trailer trying to get away from that sheep donkey!

Another time was when I got my mini... first they all were scared to death of him, and then the switch flipped and they all wanted to KILL him... they settled down pretty quickly (a few days) but it was an exciting first few days for the little guy who can actually run as fast as a normal sized horse even though his legs are only about a foot long!

Also, that pup is so cute and young that you don't realize just how BIG she is until you see her with kids nearly the same size as her. She's going to be a monster!

Yes...I think the little people, the bright colors and even me wearing a different jacket threw her off her game.

And I agree...that pup is HUGE for her age, so is likely to turn out bigger than our male, Blue. Her legs are already as thick as his and she's 9.5 wks old!