Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Better pics of the black lamb....I sooooo love a black sheep!

100_2568 (1).JPG
100_2569 (1).JPG

100_2570 (1).JPG
100_2574 (2).JPG

Pinky Pie with her shock collar that is as worthless as a flea collar....I've had nothing but trouble with this Sport Dog ecollar, they sent me a new transmitter that was supposed to solve the issue but never did. Fully charged, barely used, won't give a reliable signal of anything but muted beeps....sometimes it will send a vibration, sometime it won't and never gives a shock, no matter what mode or setting.
100_2575 (2).JPG
100_2576 (2).JPG

Blue, currently tethered for leaving the fencing and chasing the neighbor's truck towards the highway. We are working hard these next two days to get a system around the entire land to contain him to the fencing with an additional layer of shock value. Can't afford to lose him and don't know why he started that all the sudden, which makes him unpredictable in his behavior. He isn't much good on that tie out, that's for sure. The sheep is July, our smallest ewe lamb...she has always loved climbing round bales, from the earliest age. I think it makes her feel taller. LOL
100_2577 (3).JPG

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
That field is a HUGE asset to your grazing program! Awesome!
I know!!!! I keep thanking God every time I work in that field and I grow excited about the possibilities. We have NO grass except in a few portions of the yard and orchard, so getting this 10 acre field with varied green stuff in it and encircled by good brush for sheep is like winning the lottery for us. This will give us a chance to clean up the tree tops left by logging and get some hay bales rolled out on those poor dirt paddocks. It will give them a chance to rest and grow something green maybe.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That ram lamb is so pretty, you might get a good price selling him as a sire, providing he has the conformation to match his beauty as he grows. He is gorgeous!

Ewenique had a solid black ram lamb with a white tip on his tail. Too bad he is not a she! I have the prettiest, spottiest ram lambs that I have ever had! I may put them up for sale on Craigslist or something, just to see what happens. Several look pretty good now, I'll be watching them as they grow. Two of them are small, they won't make the cut. Eh, we'll see.

Isn't this FUN? :yesss: :yesss:

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
That ram lamb is so pretty, you might get a good price selling him as a sire, providing he has the conformation to match his beauty as he grows. He is gorgeous!

Ewenique had a solid black ram lamb with a white tip on his tail. Too bad he is not a she! I have the prettiest, spottiest ram lambs that I have ever had! I may put them up for sale on Craigslist or something, just to see what happens. Several look pretty good now, I'll be watching them as they grow. Two of them are small, they won't make the cut. Eh, we'll see.

Isn't this FUN? :yesss: :yesss:
It is indeed! I love being a shepherd more than any other kind of livestock I've raised, even horses. There's just something about the sheep and the relationship with them that I am drawn to.

Bay, isn't it always the really pretty ones that turn out to be rams? :barnie I'd love to have spotted, speckled and vividly marked ewes in my flock but it seems it's always rams that have all the pretty markings.

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Bay, isn't it always the really pretty ones that turn out to be rams? :barnie I'd love to have spotted, speckled and vividly marked ewes in my flock but it seems it's always rams that have all the pretty markings.
There is a commercial sheep farmer that I follow on youtube, she has mostly white sheep, some speckles, but she randomly got a few black ram lambs with big white blazes that for some reason she fell in love with and named them all Billy or some variation on the name (one is Prince William). She FINALLY got a ewe lamb with the same coloration and named her Bella. None of those black and white sheep leave the property and luckily for her bottom line (since she is a meat sheep operation) they don't seem to be very dominant genetically as she has around 400 breeding ewes and probably 20-30 rams but only has about 5 Billies and 1 Bella.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
There is a commercial sheep farmer that I follow on youtube, she has mostly white sheep, some speckles, but she randomly got a few black ram lambs with big white blazes that for some reason she fell in love with and named them all Billy or some variation on the name (one is Prince William). She FINALLY got a ewe lamb with the same coloration and named her Bella. None of those black and white sheep leave the property and luckily for her bottom line (since she is a meat sheep operation) they don't seem to be very dominant genetically as she has around 400 breeding ewes and probably 20-30 rams but only has about 5 Billies and 1 Bella.

I've often wished I had the time, space and money to dabble in developing a flock of all black Katahdins but I think that would take longer than I have on this Earth, for that simple reason...it's not a strong gene in Katahdins.

Here's an interesting story, though....

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've often wished I had the time, space and money to dabble in developing a flock of all black Katahdins but I think that would take longer than I have on this Earth, for that simple reason...it's not a strong gene in Katahdins.

Here's an interesting story, though....

Oddly enough, she has wool sheep that she breeds year round and sells for meat... She loses money every time she shears them and has to deal with infertility in the summer due to heat (and she's in Canada, not somewhere hot), I don't get why she isn't breeding hair sheep instead.