Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oddly enough, she has wool sheep that she breeds year round and sells for meat... She loses money every time she shears them and has to deal with infertility in the summer due to heat (and she's in Canada, not somewhere hot), I don't get why she isn't breeding hair sheep instead.
I wonder the same thing about so many who keep sheep....graining, shearing, trimming hooves, hormones for breeding out of season, deworming, etc. all seem to affect the bottom line when it comes to farming, when a person can manage a Katahdin flock in such a way that none of that is necessary, so once you get the flock developed the way you want, it's pure profit from then on.

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I wonder the same thing about so many who keep sheep....graining, shearing, trimming hooves, hormones for breeding out of season, deworming, etc. all seem to affect the bottom line when it comes to farming, when a person can manage a Katahdin flock in such a way that none of that is necessary, so once you get the flock developed the way you want, it's pure profit from then on.
I want Jacobs, but I want them primarily for the wool and helping out a rare breed is a bonus. They are also a "primitive breed" meaning that they are more browsy like hair sheep, and they still breed and lamb easily without assistance. But, if I were going to be doing meat sheep and wanting to breed year round I would totally go for a hair sheep breed.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I want Jacobs, but I want them primarily for the wool and helping out a rare breed is a bonus. They are also a "primitive breed" meaning that they are more browsy like hair sheep, and they still breed and lamb easily without assistance. But, if I were going to be doing meat sheep and wanting to breed year round I would totally go for a hair sheep breed.
I love the looks of the Jacobs as well and much of what I've learned about the breed.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
The big field is hereby fenced! Tested, working right, cut off switch working, done. Just need to string dog wire around it and the rest of the fencing on our land and we'll be able to move stock over there. :yesss::weee:weee:weee:weee:weee:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:bunny:bunny:bunny:bunny:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy

You have NO idea how happy this makes us!!!! Eli and I have worked hard on that thing, pushing to get it done as fast as we can, as we had hoped to have it done back in November!!! That's how far behind we are around here.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bay, isn't it always the really pretty ones that turn out to be rams? :barnie I'd love to have spotted, speckled and vividly marked ewes in my flock but it seems it's always rams that have all the pretty markings.

Ain't that the truth?? I have the prettiest, spottiest, black and white, and not one, but THREE tri-colored beauties and every danged one of them are RAMS!!!! :he

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hauled 4 sheep to Mt. Hope in OH this evening for the sales tomorrow. One ram lamb, 3 wethers. I love Katahdins....they traveled well, hopped out of the trailer and walked a few feet and calmly looked around. No yelling, no panic, just a casual inspection of the new surroundings. One guy, a quiet building, the easiest, most calm transfer of stock I've ever done.

It was an easy trip, a gorgeous sunset, and we found an singularly excellent Amish restaurant right next to the auction~no mask needed, employees were not wearing masks, actual salt and pepper shakers on the table, a buffet!, the food was excellent, the prices were too and the coconut cream pie will definitely be on the menu in Heaven.

The only bad thing was someone siphoned our gas while we were in there eating and I was almost home before I realized we were sitting below E with the light on...had to backtrack to town to gas up. Prayed all the way there to get there without running out. God said YES and we made it. :celebrate :yesss::weee

It was a good day....got a lot done on the dog fencing and tomorrow should have it up and running and be able to move the flock and dogs to the big field. Finally!!!!

Last edited: