Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's great to hear. What a perfect addition to your other grazing land.
Does this mean Blue isn't chasing cars now?
Yep....that's what it means. He's no longer bored silly, I guess, with all that space in which to guard his flock. The dog fence also prevents him from getting near the fence itself, so keeping him back may take the whole fun of the chase out of it as well.

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Nothing worse than a car chasing dog. There is a big black Doberman looking bitch out near my farm that will actually bolt in front of cars and try to stop them, she actually caught me the other day, got dead in front of my car and wouldn't move and there wasn't room to go around her. Luckily a man (her owner?) came out and chased her out of the road long enough for me to get moving.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nothing worse than a car chasing dog. There is a big black Doberman looking bitch out near my farm that will actually bolt in front of cars and try to stop them, she actually caught me the other day, got dead in front of my car and wouldn't move and there wasn't room to go around her. Luckily a man (her owner?) came out and chased her out of the road long enough for me to get moving.
Agreed....hate that! Blue was chasing the neighbor's truck but staying on his side of the fence. Then he was slipping out of the fence to chase it. Now he just sits and watches it roll on by....LOVE it!

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pics of the sheep and dogs in the big field this morning....

Rocket is just over a month old but he's showing some good size against those ewe lambs we bought last year.

DSCF0004.JPG

When we were cutting down brush to put in the fence, Eli had wanted to take these young pines out....but I knew we would need those. The sheep are really browsing on those today.

DSCF0012.JPG

DSCF0016 (2).JPG
DSCF0019.JPG

The dogs.....Pinky is really growing and at 6 mo. old she's gaining on Blue, who will be 2 yrs old in May.
DSCF0017.JPG

DSCF0007.JPG

Waiting for permission to eat....soon that will be a thing of the past when I get their jump pen/continuous feeder setup done.
DSCF0008.JPG

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Now that it's not likely we'll have sustained nights with freezing weather, I set up our watering system on our field wagon once again, but increased the cooler size to hold much more water. I took apart the water trough float cover and bleached out the trough, the float and all the connections. Feels good to get the watering back onto the cart itself once again.

We bought a water tank we can carry on the 4 wheeler that will pump the water into the cooler for me, running off the battery of the ATV. Just haven't built a rack for it for the 4 wheeler. That will make water hauling and delivery MUCH easier

Cool water, always clean and fresh, flowing into the trough each time an animal drinks....can't beat that! When it's really hot, I put frozen 2 ltr bottles down into the cooler to keep the water even cooler. The thick walls of the insulated cooler keeps out the growth of algae due to the sun and keeps the water cooler than ambient temps.

DSCF0025.JPG

With the float uncovered for cleaning. This trough was given to me and is a goat feeder...we modified it into a water trough. I'd like to add a plug in the bottom soon so I can clean it out better.

DSCF0024.JPG

Just screws right over the threads on the drain of the new cooler...no adapters needed! I was tickled about that. The more adapters you have, the more chance you'll have a slow drip at those connections.

DSCF0026.JPG

DSCF0023.JPG

My mineral feeder at the moment....originally designed to hang in a tree, I am using it on the cart right now...seems to be working to keep the minerals dry and the sheep can't waste too much mineral by fighting over it. One sheep at a time on this one.
DSCF0027.JPG

More pics of the flock loving that field...and it makes my heart glad to see them with heads down on that grass. They haven't had grass all winter long, so this is like heaven for them, even if it's short and of poor quality.

DSCF0029.JPG
DSCF0030.JPG

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your flock is growing! Rocket is a flashy boy, he's beautiful. I love your cart, you always show such ingenuity. You can take a whole lot of nothing and create something useful and functional. You are amazing.
Not even a little bit....I come up with the ideas, Eli works out the kinks of my ideas so they actually work. He's amazing...I'm just a dreamer. :D =D

Rocket is very pretty....I am going to hate to see him go when it's time to sell him. He gives my flock some flash and style. :gig

Latest posts